[QUESTION] closing threads

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I have no problem with a Mod closing a thread, but if the Mods think we're going over old ground, can we please have a link to the old ground first - because some of us obviously missed (or can't remember it) the first time round. :redface:

Eg "This thread is going nowhere gents, and we have been here before - See THIS thread. I'm going to knock it on the head."

Last edited:

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Why do mods feel the need to close certain threads? Yes arguments may be going round and round in circles, but if the participants want to continue the argument why not let it run?

If people are getting abusive, it is the individual that should be dealt with not the thread.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
- I recognise that sometimes Mods will decide to close a thread. Fair enough
- I have no real problem with Phil closing the thread below. Fair enough

but ... when a thread is closed it should be closed. It doesn't seem good forum policy that once a thread is closed, some users are able to continue the argument.

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?20067-IN-Goal&p=324525&viewfull=1#post324525

Mods are still able to post in a closed thread, the problem is it doesn't warn you the thread is closed, so unless you happen to notice the little padlock symbol you would just carry on as normal.

I have no problem with a Mod closing a thread, but if the Mods think we're going over old ground, can we please have a link to the old ground first - because some of us obviously missed (or can't remember it) the first time round. :redface:

Eg "This thread is going nowhere gents, and we have been here before - See THIS thread. I'm going to knock it on the head."

Fair point, I thought someone had already done that.

Why do mods feel the need to close certain threads? Yes arguments may be going round and round in circles, but if the participants want to continue the argument why not let it run?

If people are getting abusive, it is the individual that should be dealt with not the thread.

Because it just serves to confuse new referees and achieves nothing apart from feeding peoples pet points.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
The entire forum needs a big clean up. There are way too many subforums that could be combined, and some eliminated altogether.

"Was it right?" and "what's the decision?" are essentially the same thing. The majority of questions fall into those two subforums anyway. Get rid of the country specific forums altogether as well as a few others. They are underused and just clutter the space.

Finally there needs to be better moderation of threads and yes they should be closed. All too often a thread deviates from the intended question and loses focus or delves into pointless banter and or insults. As pointed out there is a thread on leggings that goes for 125 pages?! It's almost certain that a good chunk of the replies in that thread are off topic.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the leggings thread is more of a running joke :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
crossref;324534 but ... when a thread is closed it should be closed. It doesn't seem good forum policy that once a thread is closed said:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Translation: You're pissed off because a mod can get the last word.

I agree with OB.. in that thread. "As an assessor I would mark it as a law error if any referee gave the drop out, but in fact I have never seen it since the law change 40 years ago"

and I agree with PhilE in that thread "Stop being a prat."

The content of the discussion is irrelevant.

It is without honour for one mod to hold the arms of a poster while another mod gets the cheap shot in. Disappointing. I would have hoped OB.. would delete his last post in a thread that another mod had clearly closed.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What's a Mod?

A Moderator. One of a smallish group that have been appointed by Robbie Burns (who set up this site) to keep the threads nice. Has power to close threads, delete posts, move threads, etc

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mods are still able to post in a closed thread, the problem is it doesn't warn you the thread is closed, so unless you happen to notice the little padlock symbol you would just carry on as normal.

The other way is to read the previous post that says THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I agree with OB.. in that thread. "As an assessor I would mark it as a law error if any referee gave the drop out, but in fact I have never seen it since the law change 40 years ago"

here we go again -- so - is the topic closed or not? Are we still discussing it ? or is it only open to mods ?
will you re-open the thread, or should we continue here? if here, are non-mods allowed to post?

Last edited:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
A Moderator. One of a smallish group that have been appointed by Robbie Burns (who set up this site) to keep the threads nice. Has power to close threads, delete posts, move threads, etc

Kinda like Wikileaks, or Democratic National Committee in the states

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the new range of leggings available in stores this season look particularly spiffing!!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The content of the discussion is irrelevant.

It is without honour for one mod to hold the arms of a poster while another mod gets the cheap shot in. Disappointing. I would have hoped OB.. would delete his last post in a thread that another mod had clearly closed.
I was unaware that the thread had been closed.That information only appears at the top of a page and I go straight to the next new post.