Coach cross at half time

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Browner if you are ever in the area I would love to have you come watch one of my games with me on the mike. Let's see what you think then/ I'm never gonna be the best referee but I try and manage and facilitate the best game I can. It is a hobby I enjoy and allow me to dominate a life that is already hectic with university work, pretty much running a Cub Section and holding down 2 other jobs and my current target is to be given an RFU League 1st XV game v 1st XV game by the middle of next season (so Level 8/9).

I referee how I referee. I try and keep the Captains on my side and that means I talk to them. I will joke with the scrum and I will 'chat' to players during 'off' time. I made a joke on Sunday after having to stop the game for getting a load of mud in my eye about how I definitely only have 'one-eye' now. It makes me seem human. It keeps them onside and it works for me. At the age of 19 I can either be super pedantic or Charm and Disarm. At the moment Charm works.
Wombleref
I'm.....
* admiring of your enthusiasm of youth, energy, diary and Rugby Targets.
* supportive of your humanistic charm quest

But, back to the subject of my initial reply to you, If engaging with captains over tackles that are legal (but are creeping up toward nipple height ) is being advised to you from your refereeing coach or mentors, then by all means keep doing it.

All im offering ( digest or ignore as you choose) from 30+ years playing experience (much of which as a captain) is that any referee that asked me ( and the other captain) to instruct players to curtail an aspect of game play that clearly wasnt illegal ( nipple high tackles arent) or that we hadnt yet offended on ( if I read correctly you hadn't penalised any high tackles) s/hewould likely lose some credibility.

But hey, if it works for you ..... :cool:

PS... If I am, I will come watch, thanks for the invite, I could AR or just share a zider willingly, and the offer is reciprocated.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Browner

Its called preventative refereeing, a concept you seem not to understand. Stop the offences before they happen, to keep the game safe and flowing.

He hasn't told them to curtail a legal tackle, he has merely warned them that if the tackles get any higher they may have a problem.
It's good refereeing and is appreciated by most teams. They don't want to give away needless penalties and most appreciate the warning that they are getting near to the line and need to rein it in a bit.