coaches commenting on referee performance/decisions.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The videos are produced by WR. Nigel is of the belief that they would not sanction the videos unless what he was saying was correct.
so instead of issuing a formal press release making comment on the contentious issues, WR simply sanction ol' Nige to put on his best wellies and do their dirty work for them? :unsure:

Crowley added that he was sick of going through the official World Rugby’s channels around the performances of referees.

Simple fix, KC. Just give Nigel a call :)

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
given that that video has a World Rugby watermark (notwithstanding the cows and muck spreader in the background), is this an official WR verdict?
It's Nigel doing a Kaplan, except being slightly nicer about it. Given his odd eccentricity, I wouldn't take what he said at face value.

Other people though, they might. And that's not good.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The videos are produced by WR. Nigel is of the belief that they would not sanction the videos unless what he was saying was correct.
I think that must be correct, but I wonder who does the sanctioning, is there like a Laws panel involved in the production of the video ?

Sometimes Nigel does seem to arguing one side of an issue without saying what the categorical answer is

In that particular episode I thought that the Laws discussions were delivered very clearly, very concisely - which is not Nigel's usual style !

No "on-the-one hand, on the other hand"

Nigel's tone was also very much conveying : no nonsense now, I am giving you the correct answer here.

I would guess that those answers HAD been prepared with the help/blessing of WR .

It's an interesting one

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I would suspect WR take as much time sanctioning such videos under their banner, as they take considering the repercussions of the laws they implement under their banner.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Or maybe they just leave him to it, and trust him.

I mean, who knows why they would do something utterly crazy like that?!?

Maybe because he was recently a Tier 1 referee?
Or perhaps because he is head of referee training for the WRU?
Or alternatively because he's already employed as a consultant by one Tier 1 nation (Scotland), and has been asked to be the same by a second (South Africa)?

Your guess is as good as mine.

And Jonathan Kaplan held the world record at one point for the most test matches refereed.

Honestly, you guys.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nigel is not generally known as a Laws naus :)

Indeed I would say he is the best example ever of how being a great referee has little to do with knowledge of obscure law scenarios!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Or maybe they just leave him to it, and trust him.

I mean, who knows why they would do something utterly crazy like that?!?

Maybe because he was recently a Tier 1 referee?
Or perhaps because he is head of referee training for the WRU?
Or alternatively because he's already employed as a consultant by one Tier 1 nation (Scotland), and has been asked to be the same by a second (South Africa)?

Your guess is as good as mine.

And Jonathan Kaplan held the world record at one point for the most test matches refereed.

Honestly, you guys.
Let's see.

Post retirement, Kaplan spent an inordinate amount of time publicly criticizing other referees.

Nigel, for all his Test caps and consulting, is known for law eccentricities and/or contracting outside the law. Heading the ball, according to the law as written, is not a knock on, as much as the declarations of St Nige would like us to believe.

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
since this is an ongoing issue, might as well get it's own thead.

Crowley the latest to join the party.
Wonder if he'll be deemed to have transgressed anything here, probably since he is very specific about the futility of WR processes?

I guess a whole week passed, and a new round of games happened so KC got away with it. This time!

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Heading the ball is not a knock on, but heading it forward into another of your players does make them off-side, so is accidental offside.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Yes. But that wasnt NO was on about ...

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Let's see.

Post retirement, Kaplan spent an inordinate amount of time publicly criticizing other referees.

Nigel, for all his Test caps and consulting, is known for law eccentricities and/or contracting outside the law. Heading the ball, according to the law as written, is not a knock on, as much as the declarations of St Nige would like us to believe.
I've got no issue at all with you not liking NO or JK, or what they do, or what they say, or how they say it.

I would just like to see all referees, particularly top tier ones, spoken about with respect on this forum.

More than happy to debate their foibles on another thread, if you'd like to start one.

In the meantime, "returning to our mutton" as the French say, perhaps worth noting that Italy got away with a YC offence for leading with a forearm into the throat (Whistle Watch), and with an obvious obstruction causing a big line-break (Squidge Rugby).

I'm looking forward the forthcoming video by TASAnalytics claiming "match-fixing" towards Italy 🤪😂

Personally I don't think these kind of post-match rants by the coach help anyone, least of all the team, except perhaps to deflect attention away from the coach's responsibility. The Italian captain said it far better, I feel.