Coaches trying to tell the ref what he should do

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I've noticed there's quite a few posts on here about coaches entering the field of play and talking / complaining to refs.
I just find it strange that it happens in your code when you guys have the high ground on dissent and respect.

I think and I may be proven wrong but in my experience it is personality driven as regards the referee and the way he deals with certain situations, if you have a new younger more inexperienced official with little life experience he may well react differently to the 45+ year old referee who has been around since 4 point tries and who manages 10+ people in his day to day working life.

Some people are not used to conflict, I have served 16 years in the Army this year and due to work commitments have on occasion had to go direct to grounds from work still wearing my uniform. Delivering pre match briefs whilst still in uniform I find that very little dissent is heard throughout the game........................:shrug: lol :wink::wink:

Staring down a suicide bomber means I am well capable of dealing with over exuberant coaches and players.

Funny you should bring that up, my assessor from Saturday has said he will (going forward) refuse to assess any ref where one of the teams from my match is playing :wow: In my game on Saturday and at previous matches he's had a constant barrage of what starts out as "banter" become abuse as the game and alcohol in take goes on!

My coach this season, Tony, has found himself in the similar situation a number of times, and has found cause to speak to members of the Committee to get it sorted out short shift on the threat of a complaint into the Union, he has only had to follow that threat up once this season caused by non regular supporters getting a wee bit too boisterous pitch side after a few too many beers.

Last edited:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Some people are not used to conflict, I have served 16 years in the Army this year and due to work commitments have on occasion had to go direct to grounds from work still wearing my uniform. Delivering pre match briefs whilst still in uniform I find that very little dissent is heard throughout the game........................:shrug: lol.

A cunnig plan Baldrick.

RugbyDoc

Post Likes
Thanks for all your comments. This was an NLD final with ref and TJ's from society and I'd guess average age of them to be early fifties ( or they could just been having a bad day). I hope the ref reported it , but I've done it as well as unless this is discouraged then it'll become a common problem

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks for all your comments. This was an NLD final with ref and TJ's from society and I'd guess average age of them to be early fifties ( or they could just been having a bad day).

harrumph - what on earth is wrong with being in your early fifties?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Thanks for all your comments.

This was an NLD final with ref and TJ's from society and I'd guess average age of them to be early fifties ( or they could just been having a bad day).

I hope the ref reported it , but I've done it as well as unless this is discouraged then it'll become a common problem

If i read correct(?)
You're alluding that their age made them poor judges, "au contraire mon ami" perhaps instead they are jammed packed with rugby experience & have forgotten more about this sport than some of their critics have likely 'yet' amassed.:knuppel2:

Good, well done. Specifically who did you report it to? (& was this written or verbal etc...?)
the more that 'interested observers" ( my best guess is that you had a vested interest in this U14 cup final fixture, and this was an opponent coach ....please confirm ?? ) take issue with spectator poor behaviour on the touchline, then the better this sport will stay.
I presume you also referee RugbyDoc???
(Nothing more than curiousity on my part, given your very few postings on here over the last 4 years) & if not, ever thought of doing so?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Do you struggle with "cunning linguistics" :chin:. But being fair, it can be a tongue twister for some :biggrin:
A similar word caught out John Inverdale !

RugbyDoc

Post Likes
Actually, I too am in my mid fifties and recently got half a new knee. Found it hard to keep up with the pace . However, I did have a few tips from Twiggy on how to ref from a distance!

RugbyDoc

Post Likes
Oh and NLD replied that the coach was on the pitch assisting the ref with an injury . Strange as ref who had twisted his ankle went off 10 mins before and a new ref was on at the time.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Actually, I too am in my mid fifties and recently got half a new knee. Found it hard to keep up with the pace . However, I did have a few tips from Twiggy on how to ref from a distance!

I think some here were a bit quick to dogpile judgement upon you then :pepper: However, since you are in your mid-fifties and the referees you talked about are in their early fifties, you'll just have to make it your job to get these young inexperienced guys up to scratch!

Those young bucks, eh.? They think they know it all!! :biggrin:

I'll be 60 later this year

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
..... may well react differently to the 45+ year old referee who has been around since 4 point tries ....

What? 4 points for a try? Since when? Hrmph! Nobody tells me anything!

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Don't seem to get much back chat being 6ft+ and northern around these parts! Unless you're refereeing Daventry of course :hap:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm from the correct side of the Pennines. And 6ft. Just this one Welsh coach.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Oh and NLD replied that the coach was on the pitch assisting the ref with an injury . Strange as ref who had twisted his ankle went off 10 mins before and a new ref was on at the time.

Sounds like 'they' ( whoever they are) didn't share your concerns.