Collapsing A Maul.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Something is bugging me; it's been nagging me for a while.

Imagine a maul; as soon as the Ref shouts "Maul" it seems to me that the side not in possession just collapses it with impunity - to get the turnover ball.

Why doesn't it get penalised? I must have seen 3 or 4 in todays England v Ireland game alone. Am I missing something?

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Bugs me too. I know it is hard sometimes to be certain what happened but when it is happening under the noses of the TO3 it is hard to understand how it is being missed.

Add in the unbound 8 (often) at the rear, who somehow stays at the rear whilst several team mates join seemingly alongside but are immediately a row or two in front - England did it superbly today :D

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Even the commentators mentioned it. Something along the lines of "once he got into that position all they had to do was collapse the maul and hold on". I added - and hope you don't get pinged for collapsing. But no, implication was it was okay to collapse.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Bugs me too. I know it is hard sometimes to be certain what happened but when it is happening under the noses of the TO3 it is hard to understand how it is being missed.
Even the commentators mentioned it. Something along the lines of "once he got into that position all they had to do was collapse the maul and hold on". I added - and hope you don't get pinged for collapsing. But no, implication was it was okay to collapse.
Glad it wasn't just me then. :biggrin:

At my level, they DON'T collapse the maul - they just wait for me to blow and get the turnover. At TV level though, it seems to be totally ignored and the team not in possession never seem to get penalised for it. It's a mystery. :chin:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
There's a hooker at Irish who would disagree with you, having been carded for doing just that against Exeter. And a spot on call it was too.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Not convinced mauls are correctly reffed at TV level as they seem to stop an awful lot and only occasionally does the ref require them to use it after 2 stops. Remember that in law moving sideways across the pitch is stopped!