Colours?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As a general rule I try to pick short, simple, colours for teams so I can basically spit my words out quickly, and avoid similar syllables - so gold not yellow, avoid blue vs black etc, do others do similar and where would you go for purple jerseys? Blue? Unfortunately I have purple vs blue/white hoops so I fear I’ll muddle my blues?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Flish, I have the same issue. I try to avoid 2 syllable colours.

What colour shorts are purple wearing? If its black, I'd go with that.

Sometimes I ask the captain what other refs call them. That can helps.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Flish, I have the same issue. I try to avoid 2 syllable colours.

What colour shorts are purple wearing? If its black, I'd go with that.

Sometimes I ask the captain what other refs call them. That can helps.

Hard to tell, most pics I can google are black, so yes, an option (as long as I avoid blue for Oppos), some however are white. Oppos are probably white in my head as they are also white shorts.

Half the time shorts and sock colour is more useful to identifying the player than his Jersey anyway!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I always say Yellow not Gold...just to annoy any Australians that might be around :biggrin:

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I hadnt really thought about it before but surely the problem with changing Yellow to gold or calling shorts colours is that it may help you to avoid stumbling over the words but does it provide the trigger you want from the players when you call it? For blue and white hoops why not use "hoops"

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I hadnt really thought about it before but surely the problem with changing Yellow to gold or calling shorts colours is that it may help you to avoid stumbling over the words but does it provide the trigger you want from the players when you call it? For blue and white hoops why not use "hoops"

I would always confirm with the captain that he/she/they is/are happy with what I use.

If that he/she/they is/are happy with "hoops", then why not? Good idea

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I would always confirm with the captain that he/she/they is/are happy with what I use.

If that he/she/they is/are happy with "hoops", then why not? Good idea

I always confirm with the captains at the point toss, but hadn't considered hoops, but then what do I call 'purple' ?

(I had a red / gold vs blue / red earlier in the season, so gold vs blue - but for first 15 mins gold came out at red, couldn't help myself, it was their primary colour, luckily they knew what I mean!)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Some years ago I was at a match where the teams were wearing shirts with slightly different red/white patterns. In the small spectator shed on the touchline was a bag of black shirts belonging to the home team. Both teams chose not to wear them. The referee did not insist, and to be fair I did not notice many occasions that caused significant confusion.

The referee referred to the teams by name rather than colour.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

I considered this, but the home (purple) team are called the 'Palatinates', doesn't exactly flow off the tongue!

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Slightly off topic but prompted by the potential colours confusion thread have just remembered a slightly awkward situation I had at the weekend. Schools game on Saturday, black and gold v gold, neither side had numbers. Black and gold on a team warning for repeated offences. I called advantage to Gold for a further penalty for which I could have picked either one of two offenders, conscious of the lack of numbers I concentrated on one of the offenders faces so that I could identify him when required. After I blew for no advantage and came back for the penalty, I showed the defender the yellow card but couldnt for the life of me remember what the actual offence was for. On the basis I remembered that at least two players had committed the same offence I decided that was the most likely option was offside at the breakdown. As soon as I saw the offence I made the decison to card so I wasnt worried that some great injustice had been down but have rebriefed myself on corrective action for the future.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I remember my daughter playing in a triangular festival at Old Albanians, in their striped top. So for the first match, OAs were Blue - as their opponents wore red. And in the second they were Red. The players coped.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I considered this, but the home (purple) team are called the 'Palatinates', doesn't exactly flow off the tongue!

"Durham", maybe, if it's not a local derby? :)

I usually use team/place names rather than colours for purple, orange etc, but I've heard refs substitute red for orange (The Netherlands/orange is an unforgiving combination, as is Rotterdam/orange over here), blue for purple, and I've definitely heard mauve for purple.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
"Durham", maybe, if it's not a local derby? :)

I usually use team/place names rather than colours for purple, orange etc, but I've heard refs substitute red for orange (The Netherlands/orange is an unforgiving combination, as is Rotterdam/orange over here), blue for purple, and I've definitely heard mauve for purple.

Good googling ;-)

Think I might try place names, could be a good mental exercise.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
You could have called them "Pals".

Though that may have given the worng impressiojn to the opponents.

Especially if they were Old Gitfordiffians and you just called them "Gits"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i go for the first thing that occurs to me (because that's inevitably what I am going to revert to in the heat of the moment on the pitch!)

So it would likely be blue and purple.

I don't see a two syllable colour as being that big a problem. Calling them Purple is way better than calling them "PURPLE, SORRY I MEAN MAUVE"

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Thank God "Hamilton Academicals" don't play rugby :biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Some years ago I was at a match where the teams were wearing shirts with slightly different red/white patterns. In the small spectator shed on the touchline was a bag of black shirts belonging to the home team. Both teams chose not to wear them. The referee did not insist, and to be fair I did not notice many occasions that caused significant confusion.

I have a game next month with a pair of teams who wear to all intents and purposes Green and White Hoops. When the hosts ring me to confirm they'll be getting the same instruction they got about 8 years ago to make sure they've got some change/different shirts.

At that last game the message "surprisingly" never got through and when I rocked up they were nearly identical. I expressed my concerns and they miraculously found some although the were numbered in an old Leicester stylee with letters - which is a pain in the arse in itself in terms of trying to match letters/positions quickly in your head.

Anyway better than green, white and black vs green, black and white.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have a game next month with a pair of teams who wear to all intents and purposes Green and White Hoops. When the hosts ring me to confirm they'll be getting the same instruction they got about 8 years ago to make sure they've got some change/different shirts.

At that last game the message "surprisingly" never got through and when I rocked up they were nearly identical. I expressed my concerns and they miraculously found some although the were numbered in an old Leicester stylee with letters - which is a pain in the arse in itself in terms of trying to match letters/positions quickly in your head.

Anyway better than green, white and black vs green, black and white.

I've had the opposite, home team is maroon, away team away colours maroon, both took it to upon themselves to solve the problem by wearing their alternative shirts, both black :shrug: