Communication skills

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Agree on the time for PMB, stud, jewelry and underwear check.

Last season my front row PMB was perhaps too long when I did it; I do stud checks almost always (not for sevens, obviously, nor at every game of a tournament).

I have become more observant as a referee, but as a coach also watch out for the self-safety issues of jewelry, not only with female players, nowadays.

As of this season checking for hard (field hockey-style) shin-guards as per Union directive.

Not once have I done an underwear check. Nor a Prince Albert check, for that matter.

To bring it back to communication skills: teams who I have refereed before tend to know that I not only am slow to whistle when there is potential advantage, but also will signal first aid to come on to the field while the ball is still live (as long as moving away from the injury). I'll call "injury" to make sure both sides know I am aware of it, of course, and will whistle as soon as there is any added danger.

Players accept missing say, a forward pass, if another player - even an opponent - is temporarily the focus of a ref's attention due to laying prone on the ground. Until the whistle is blown, their first priority as players remains to play - in attack or defence - but they all dread a serious injury to themselves, and would not wish it on other players. Hodie mihi, cras tibi and all that.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Glad to be of help. Now, it's Saturday afternoon. Shouldn't you be getting your kit ready? :)

Only had a 15min drive to today's match & I arrive already changed.

Another home 20+ point victory, despite x2YC & a RC against home side v no cards for away.....
Mind you I did have my own changing room and a chair , so that put me in a good mood.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
"Mind you I did have my own changing room and a chair , so that put me in a good mood."

View attachment 3070

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Communication skills - today I was the English ref, with German and Irish ARs, with a French team playing an Italian team. I'm sure there is a joke in there somewhere.

And we had fewer issues understand each other than a Welshman and a Irishman in the Eng v NZ game! :biggrin:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
.... and a place to put your kit bag under the seat.

Red Horseman

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks to all contributors to this issue. I have enough material for my presentation now.
RH