Compulsory TMO review for RC

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Presumably, as with everything else, the Referee will be the final arbiter.
Referee must consult but not necessarily agree with the TMO.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I presume it's to try and avoid a scenario where a ref makes a call which can impact hugely on a game and then goes home and sees a discussion (with video ) on Rugbyrefs forum which proves s/he made a Rollix of it!

EDIT Perfectly sensible approach really.
Have all available information before making the decision.

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I don't recall a situation where a RC for a dangerous/high tackle hasn't been reviewed with the TMO. Very often it will be the TMO who brings the foul play to the attention of the referee.

If one looks at the video clips that WR issued alongside the High Tackle Guidelines there is a double tackle by 2 All black players on (IIRC) Allun Wynn Jones that - under the new Guidelines - merits a red card for both tacklers.

The cynic in me is guessing that this TMO review process is to buy time, defuse the situation and look to find 'mitigating circumstances' so that the losing coach and world media cannot throw accusations at the match officials who would have "...ruined the game with that (those) Red Card..."

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The cynic in me is guessing that this TMO review process is to buy time, defuse the situation and look to find 'mitigating circumstances' so that the losing coach and world media cannot throw accusations at the match officials who would have "...ruined the game with that (those) Red Card..."

Yes, I think that's along the right lines - but particularly I suspect that WR would like everyone to focus on the flowchart, and the process, and not on the judgement of the individual referee, and this will be very helpful in that.

(we have recently seen twitter storms against the ref, when in reality he was simply following the flowchart)

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
RCs are serious, taking your time to get it right makes sense, and as above, this time with the teams seperated can have the added benefit that everyone calms down a bit, and its less likely to get punchy.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
RCs are serious, taking your time to get it right makes sense, and as above, this time with the teams seperated can have the added benefit that everyone calms down a bit, and its less likely to get punchy.

do the levels which actually have TMOs "get punchy" really?

As opposed to level 9 - with no TMO?

didds

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
do the levels which actually have TMOs "get punchy" really?

As opposed to level 9 - with no TMO?

didds

Maybe in certain Gallic countries :france: :biggrin: