concussion baseline testing

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I haven't heard of this before and thought it innovative.

For about $80 this company does baseline concussion tests on a player. Then, if concussion is suspected, the results are compared to the baseline to determine if concussion has occurred.

http://www.optimusconcussion.com.au/about-us.html

Is this new or am I behind the times?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is standard procedure in Virginia High Schools for every sport. Not sure of the full procedure but when one of our players (club not school) got concussed the school ran tests and he never made it back to 100% before the end of the season.

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I haven't heard of this before and thought it innovative.

For about $80 this company does baseline concussion tests on a player. Then, if concussion is suspected, the results are compared to the baseline to determine if concussion has occurred.

http://www.optimusconcussion.com.au/about-us.html

Is this new or am I behind the times?

There are various 'concussion clinics' in NZ that will do the same. If you ask your GP you can get a referral.

Knowing when it is 'safe' to return to play is a difficult thing to judge and you are always reliant on professional advice which is also based on how you answer their questions. A GP will rely on your answers and if you are fooling yourself you can easily fool them. Having a baseline test done will at least place some objectivity in the situation.
IMO all players should do these if the facilities are available.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... For about $80 this company does baseline concussion tests on a player. Then, if concussion is suspected, the results are compared to the baseline to determine if concussion has occurred.
Good idea; otherwise you have nothing to compare it with.