Confusion with pick and go at U12s?

Billywhizz

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Help and guidance needed.
I've checked other posts but still not 100% sure the rule of scrum half ( or acting scrum half ) being able to pick up and run from a ruck or strip and run at a maul. I understand they must pass from a scrum but there’s confusion in our age group and regs seem to add rather than reduce the confusion !!
help please
cheers

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Which country are you in. The regulations will vary from land to land.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Assume this is RFU new rules of play? In which case yes it’s confusing as they botched the cut and paste to a point where it doesn’t make much sense, but yes, pick and go from ruck and maul fine, scrum no.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For the Welsh Pathway it is :

1st player to the breakdown can pick and go before the ruck has formed
After the tackle one player from each team can contest for the ball, this can be any player involved in the tackle or another arriving player
Acting scrum half must pass the ball after a ruck has been formed

No Mauls are allowed at U12

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
RFU

Says
For Mauls

d) When a maul is formed the ball must be made available within 5 seconds. The referee should call “Use it” and the ball should be moved away from the contact area. If neither team can pass the ball away, a scrum should be awarded to the team not in possession when the maul began.

Does the bold bit imply that pick and go is not allowed, but Runnig or passing is ok? Or just passing away?

For rucks:

When the tackle is made and the ball carrier is on the ground, supporting players may:
i. pick up or rip the ball and run or pass away from the contact area; or
ii. if a ruck is not formed, pick up the ball and run; or
iii. join to form a ruck but must do so from their own side (i.e. from the direction of their own goal line) and drive over the ball, in an attempt to take their immediate opponents away from the ball.

n) If m)iv. above has taken place (but there is no m)iv! It used t obe "form a ruck)), the next arriving player can pass the ball to another player or run with it.

So, a player can I think it fair to read Pass or run from a ruck.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Pick and go (well rip and go) is allowed at the maul at U12s (that’s the moved away but) your bit in bold is basically if the ball isn’t played within 5 seconds, doesn’t realistically happen as most aren’t skilled enough to do much in 5 seconds.

The confusing bit is the ruck as you spotted, in u10 and U11s there is an m) iv (that says no pick and go) so they zapped that line but forgot the other references, most coaches skim read and don’t realise that it’s now allowed as looks same as previous years

Billywhizz

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks for response.
I coach at a club in England, and have now emailed our local refs association so maybe they can get the RFU to send out an amendment as my HC won’t change his opinion until it’s official ??*♂️

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks for response.
I coach at a club in England, and have now emailed our local refs association so maybe they can get the RFU to send out an amendment as my HC won’t change his opinion until it’s official 路*♂️

Good luck! I was coaching U12 last year so that's how we ran it, same for other clubs up near me. If he refuses to be swayed then please, please ensure he communicates his expectations to the kids pre match so that it's a fair and consistent and they know what he wants them to do.