Connacht V Glasgow

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last minute of the game and Connacht (trailing by a point 26-27) attempt a drop goal. The kick falls short and the Glasgow full back carries the ball for a meter or two in-field back into in goal and touches down.

Ian Davies gives a drop out 22.

Thoughts?

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
What in my professional life is referred to as a "cock-up". Ref made a mistake.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Yep, clear mistake. The ref'll be kicking himself.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As should the ARs as they probably (???) had the better perspective. Should the TMO speak up?

seanaodh

Level 3 Ref (IRFU)
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
As far as I'm aware the TMO can only have input on try scoring, or if he sees potential foul play, neither of which apply here.

I think the ref was so focused on the clock and working out if he was going to ground it before or after the 80 that he had a brain fart. We all make mistakes on the pitch, this just happened to be pretty crucial and he'll be kicking himself.

It's a pity one of the ARs didn't notice it and have a quick word in his ear. I'll be honest, I was watching it from the other side of a busy rugby club bar, and I didn't realise it either till I saw it on twitter later on.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It was pretty critical. Attacking scrum 5 for the side a point behind as opposed to a 22 drop out. I would expect the assessor / advisor to flag it as a critical error.

He certainly was close enough to see it clearly.

I agree that protocols would seem to prevent the TMO's intervention. However, surely the point of the "support" of things like the TMO is to get critical calls right!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Connacht brought the error to his attention , why didn't he reverse it (consulting AR if he wasn't sure what actually happened)
Normally if you have a brain fart , when someone question it you know straight away that it was, indeed, exactly that

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Connacht brought the error to his attention , why didn't he reverse it (consulting AR if he wasn't sure what actually happened)
Normally if you have a brain fart , when someone question it you know straight away that it was, indeed, exactly that

Really good point. Since it's a dead ball restart surely he could have asked the AR and/or the TMO?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Full marks to Connacht as well. Yes, there was a question but no real protest and all handshakes after the whistle.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Did Connacht question it ?

I was at the match and didnt spot it, (too busy moaning as to why they tried the
DG from that distance) I didnt notice any of the players questioning it.

Heres a query, lets say in this instance the 4th official loses the run of himself and tells the ref that it was carried over and it should be a scrum 5. ( way outside his remit I know )

If youre the ref in that instance what do you do ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Last season Connacht won a game, didn't they , because of a referee error at the death. Against Wasps

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm not sure about this It all evens out stuff. So what? It was a poor error by Ian. I'd expect to be marked down for it out in the sticks so he must expect a rap accross the knuckles.

seanaodh

Level 3 Ref (IRFU)
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Last season Connacht won a game, didn't they , because of a referee error at the death. Against Wasps

They did. John Muldoon convinced AR1 (who had replaced the injured ref) that the new law trial about a kick to touch after the 80 was in force already.

Two wrongs don't make a right though. It's a bit of a cautionary tale. I can almost guarantee if this hadn't been in the last moments and the clock wasn't the big factor that it was he wouldn't have made the mistake. It's a bit of a reminder to always keep your focus for the full 80, and don't let the excitement of the end of a tight match distract you from the basics.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Heres a query, lets say in this instance the 4th official loses the run of himself and tells the ref that it was carried over and it should be a scrum 5. ( way outside his remit I know )

If youre the ref in that instance what do you do ?

Listen to him.

What's worse, letting a decision you know to be wrong stand on a technicality or break protocol to get the decision right?

UpandUnder

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Listen to him.

What's worse, letting a decision you know to be wrong stand on a technicality or break protocol to get the decision right?

Agreed, we all want to get the best outcome.

It's not only the ref to blame here, the whole team of 3 should have a look at how they missed that.