[Law] Contact with the head

Last_20

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Question re Wasps v Sale game

If contact with the head is about player safety and in the situation where contact is 'accidental' does not mitigate then is there a case for Kieran Brookes to be sanctioned for the hit on his own player, Brad Shields? It does not seem logical to only sanction hits on the opposition?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Question re Wasps v Sale game

If contact with the head is about player safety and in the situation where contact is 'accidental' does not mitigate then is there a case for Kieran Brookes to be sanctioned for the hit on his own player, Brad Shields? It does not seem logical to only sanction hits on the opposition?

Link to video please so we can comment on this specific incident.

However before penalising players for (presumably accidental ) head contact with their own team mates how about making intentional shoulder to opposition (head) contact illegal?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
how about making intentional shoulder to opposition (head) contact illegal?
i must be missing a nuance here ... cos under the protocols it is already - surely? ie contact with force to the head ?

wrt "own player" - indeed. and accidentally taking youe own player out in the air, dropping your own player when lifted to receive a kick etc ?

didds

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
i must be missing a nuance here ...

didds

Maybe not a nuance...but put a ball in a players hands and they can 'legally' target an opposing players head with a shoulder! !

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Maybe not a nuance...but put a ball in a players hands and they can 'legally' target an opposing players head with a shoulder! !

ah, fully understand now. gotcha.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

... up to the point the ball carrier goes over the ref’s personal I’ll-know-it-when-I-see-it threshold and falls into the Law’s foul play catch-all in 9.11 that players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others.

Maybe it’s time for The Powers That Be to clarify where we move from bracing (to “present all the hard points” as they put it in the recent head contact process) to foul play to outright thuggery.

Anyone for a new framework? :biggrin:

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
As it was free on BBC Red Button I watch the RL Challenge Cup game between Swinton and Oldham. So many of the tackles were upright, starting at chest height and rising that you would have worn out your yellow / red card if it had been in our code. Then, of course, the tackles continued in WWF mode.
Another observation: RL has substituted hand-overs for most scrums. The scrums were a joke anyway, their only use was containing the forwards in one place. Is this the 'roadmap' RU is following?

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I suspect the reduction in the number of scrums in RL is more covid related than anything else given how they are used in league, but I stand to be corrected.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I saw the RL game before the Swinton one with Gavin Henson, aged 39, making his RL debut with West Wales Raiders (or somesuch) v Wigan.

one of the Wigan players was yellow carded for tackling around the legs. I kid you not. That is what the commentator said it was for.

im sure somebody more RL orenitated will be able to explain but id hazard a guess its cos he was 3rd man in ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I suspect the reduction in the number of scrums in RL is more covid related than anything else given how they are used in league, but I stand to be corrected.

The story from over here is that it is to speed the game up.
And it's working.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The no RL scrums is definitely Covid related to reduce contact.
Not seen the leg tackle but these are usually given as they are deliberately targeting the knee area in an upright, stationary tackle to cause injury.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not seen the leg tackle but these are usually given as they are deliberately targeting the knee area in an upright, stationary tackle to cause injury.

That must be it - that pretty much describes what I saw. Tx.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The no RL scrums is definitely Covid related to reduce contact.
V’Landys over here reduced the number of scrums at the start of our NRL season a couple of weeks ago.Emphatically mot Covid related.