Conversion - Yes or No?

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am posting this here as it could happen in senior as well as junior rugby i.e. with club TJ's.

Club referee of Under 15 league match with club TJ's.

Blue score try with last play. Score 14 - 14 with conversion from 5 metre line on 22 to win match. Referee stands next to kicker and at point when TJ's need to make decision. One puts their flag up whilst the other keeps his flag down!:wtf::wtf:

From his location referee cannot tell if conversion went over bar or not and consults with TJ's who stick by their decisions. :chin:

After much consultation with coaches involved! Referee decides to disallow try and has decided to phone a friend to see if he is right or wrong as complaint has been received.

Oh and a Merry Christmas and Happy and healthy New Year to you all.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
He just has to make his own best judgement .. did he think it went over , or not

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
He just has to make his own best judgement .. did he think it went over , or not

Yup, this, tough as that may be, I'm mostly envious he had enough TJ's to cause a conflict!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Referee stands next to kicker and at point when TJ's need to make decision. One puts their flag up whilst the other keeps his flag down! From his location referee cannot tell if conversion went over bar or not and consults with TJ's who stick by their decisions. :chin: After much consultation with coaches involved! Referee decides to disallow try and has decided to phone a friend to see if he is right or wrong as complaint has been received.
I don't see how the Referee can "disallow the try" having already given it.

As Crossref says, I reckon it's on the Ref to decide one way or the other if the conversion was good. It's a tough one, but that's what he's paid for. Oh hang about ... :biggrin:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Blue score try with last play..... [conversion] One puts their flag up whilst the other keeps his flag down!:wtf::wtf:

From his location referee cannot tell if conversion went over bar or not and consults with TJ's who stick by their decisions. :chin:

After much consultation with coaches involved! Referee decides to disallow try ...

why disallow the try?

didds

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think the disallow bit was said in jest, I hope!

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't see how the Referee can "disallow the try" having already given it.

As Crossref says, I reckon it's on the Ref to decide one way or the other if the conversion was good. It's a tough one, but that's what he's paid for. Oh hang about ... :biggrin:

Apologies I didn't check my typing :noyc: I confirm he allowed try which made it 14 all.

So if confronted with this situation and you couldn't tell if it had gone over or not what would you have done?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
this must be such a reasonably common occurrence ie its not unlikely to happen to a ref, I would imagine there is an agreed protocol in place surely?

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Apologies I didn't check my typing :noyc: I confirm he allowed try which made it 14 all.

So if confronted with this situation and you couldn't tell if it had gone over or not what would you have done?

Made a decision on balance of probabilities

Imagine there had been a video and you were just about to see it, and had to bet £10 on what it was going to reveal, what would you bet ?

That's the answer

Lesson ... For every conversion stand close and focus ... You never know when it will be important

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I assume Kicker's AR said YES and the No kicking side's AR said NO.

Tricky one .

For the future, I'd say check your positioning, you should have a pretty good idea. Folllow the ball in and you should be pretty sure yourself. Not always I accept.

Where was the doubt? Pulled wide of the near upright or pushed past the far one? Or was it the crossbar clearence? Which AR would have had the better view of the "contentious" area?

Just re-read the OP the crossbar. OK. Go with the closest AR and sell it positively.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was running touch at a tournament years ago when my lad played. Me and other TJ (coach of other team) watched (our) PK or conversion sail between posts (albeit higher than height of posts). I said "yes" as per protocol. He said nothing but I had by this time put up my flag. Referee called us on. We were both adamant the kick was good/bad and held our respective positions. Referee ruled it missed "because we could not agree" which nearly had me suggest the opposite should equally apply.

Anyway we trudged back to our respective lines him thinking "phew that was fortunate" and me thinking "cheating twat" :)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Never choose a touch judge
Never default to no (why not yes)

Just say, confidently "it was really close but I was watching carefully and I have to say I thought it was (whatever you thought)

That's the ONLY thing that no one can disagree with in principle .

They may disagree with your judgment .. but they will agree that it is correct for you to make a judgement .. that is the point of having you

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... So if confronted with this situation and you couldn't tell if it had gone over or not what would you have done?
I think you would have to work on the assumption what would I have said if there were no TJs?

... Just say, confidently "it was really close but I was watching carefully and I have to say I thought it was (whatever you thought). That's the ONLY thing that no one can disagree with in principle.
Quite. And there's a way to speak to the TJ without alienating him and creating an enemy for life. :biggrin:

I had something similar with a TJ when a PK was kicked to the corner. The TJ said it had been kicked through in-goal but I didn't. With my most diplomatic voice I just said "That was close, but from where I was standing it looked as if it was just this side of the flag". As long as you don't embarrass him, they'll probably be OK with your decision.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think you would have to work on the assumption what would I have said if there were no TJs?

. .

And let's face it, the answer is likely to be "If I hadn't got any TIs , I would have been paying more attention"

:)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
would it be completely out of order to invite the kicker to take it again?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

After much consultation with coaches involved! Referee decides to disallow try and has decided to phone a friend to see if he is right or wrong as complaint has been received.

I remember an old baseball umpire telling me that the more line ball a decision is, the more confidently you have to be seen to be making it.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If it is a question of the ball being above post height, I would be more likely to trust the TJ nearest the relevant post. He has a better view. (A good TJ would have moved to check more easily.)

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
U15's and the score is 14-14, draw sounds like a good result! Mines an OJ and lemonade please :wink:

as a ref, (unless i have appointed AR's). If we have a one up one down situation, then i go with what I've seen.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If it is a question of the ball being above post height, I would be more likely to trust the TJ nearest the relevant post. He has a better view. (A good TJ would have moved to check more easily.)

With ARs possibly do that
With TJ when this happens it is ALWAYS the TJ from the kicking team with his flag up, and the one from the other team with his flag down.

My advice is to beam them up immediately..
Pay no attention to where they were standing

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
With ARs possibly do that
With TJ when this happens it is ALWAYS the TJ from the kicking team with his flag up, and the one from the other team with his flag down.

My advice is to beam them up immediately..
Pay no attention to where they were standing
Overly cynical!