crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can you cycle to the van (exercise) put the bike on the van and drive back

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Can you cycle to the van (exercise) put the bike on the van and drive back

its a possibility. its only 30 miles but Ive havent cycled for a couple of years now! LOL

didds

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
its a possibility. its only 30 miles but Ive havent cycled for a couple of years now! LOL

didds

rollerblade then, feign an injury 30 miles out, get a medical eval slip, drive home. better yet forge the medical slip.

ez pz

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
You've never been to the wilds of salisbury plain, especially out by Porton Down have you?

its all berdaggled sheep, snipers, helicopter gunshops, things that have escaped from the MoD chemical laborotories, and a pub - The Slaughtered Lamb

didds

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
You've never been to the wilds of salisbury plain, especially out by Porton Down have you?

its all berdaggled sheep, snipers, helicopter gunshops, things that have escaped from the MoD chemical laborotories, and a pub - The Slaughtered Lamb

didds

so hitch hiking is not an option?, best to bike at night under the cover of darkness, stay off usual trails, travel slowly, rest in low ground, wear you boots backwards, drive home the following eve preferably early morn 1:30am, use headlights only in dire need take all down hills in nuetral

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Didds, tbh I'd just go and get the van and be sensible, i.e. wipe everything down with virus-killer spray (dettol do a good one) before touching anything in the car that someone else might have touched: door handles, steering wheel, gear leaver, etc etc. And give it a good air-out in case someone had coughed or sneezed in there. The virus can survive about 24 hrs in air, and up to 3 days on hard surfaces, so it's a possible source of infection if you aren't careful.

(Of course you are in a vulnerable or shielded group, I would seriously leave it and just stay home.)

The chance of a face-to-face encounter while making a point-to-point pickup is seriously low. You can pick up fuel using contactless if you stick to less than £30, just take some plastic gloves with so you don't have to touch the pump with bare hands (obviously discard gloves before returning to vehicle).

Keep to speed limits and drive carefully. In the unlikely event of a breakdown, stay more than 2m away from the mechanic. People still go to work and this is no worse than what they do every day, after all.

Before the lockdown I bought a breadmaker on ebay which was collection only, it's in Honiton and I'm in N Devon, about an hour's drive away. I'm going to get it on the weekend on the basis described above, and they will leave it on the doorstep for me so there's no need for any face-to-face contact. I plan to put it in a bag, disinfect my hands, and then drive home - and then leave it at least 3 days before using it, to allow time for any virus in there to die off.

The entire point of the government restrictions is to stop/slow the spread of the virus from household to household, and sticking to these principles will do just that, even if you do have to go and pick something up.

But obviously now that the rules are in place I won't order anything else that's collection-only!!

The justification for the bread-maker is in case there is a shortage of bread, or in case I have to self-isolate (again!) and can't get a grocery delivery (hard to come by these days) or friend to help.

Your description of Salisbury Plain near Porton Down was priceless, thanks for the laugh :-D I used to work up that way and you have put it in a nutshell.

Kurt, for goodness sake don't try any of that sneaking around at night nonsense round that way or you might get shot by some trigger-happy squaddie thinking you are some sort of terrorist, or they may just be doing tank practice and not notice you with your lights off.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
are you stalking me?

If I were stalking you, the van would be at your doorstep and fixed. you'd also have free wi-fi from your neighbors. but, as it is, i'm locked down in Ohio by wife and the governor

Sorry I can't help, but explore your options. I'll stop commo for your protection, .... now

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Prince Charles is at Balmoral self isolating with Covid -19

Prince Andrew is at Windsor Castle self isolating with Hannah - 14

:)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My SI ends tomorrow. I am now symptom free. Look after yourselves.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Day 8 (hopefully of 14) and son has been up for 4 nights in row “sweating buckets” and feeling worse . He is now having regular coughing bouts and bringing up blood.

Wife contacted Consultant niece who advised “blood is a result of irritation from coughing but should get breathing checked out”.

Found the following BBC / NHS youtube video helpful and reassuring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2kiXc5XEdU

After completing online questionnaire e.g. have you been able to get up and carryout your normal day to day activities we received the attached advice “it appears you have Coronavirus and MUST contact NHS 111 and speak to a nurse.

At this point I said b***ocks to Boris and rang NHS 111. Message advised very busy and waiting time is over one hour. Eventually got up at 3am and spoke to nurse who rang my son and advised him he must sit upright to reduce coughing bouts. She then arranged for Clinician to callback and carryout assessment.

We have downloaded Coronavirus Tracking App (developed by Kings College London) who are recording daily symptoms and looking for 1 million downloads so they can gather vital statistics for NHS to help find a vaccine for their killer virus.

If you have more than mild symptoms my advice is complete NHS questionnaire online or download App. Nurse was so helpful and said we were right to call.

View attachment NHS 111 - Isolate yourself and stay indoors then call 111.pdf

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

its all berdaggled sheep, snipers, helicopter gunshops, things that have escaped from the MoD chemical laborotories, and a pub - The Slaughtered Lamb didds

Sounds like a place for the bucket list then

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My SI ends tomorrow. I am now symptom free. Look after yourselves.

Glad to hear that you are mostly on the mend Marc. My wife and I got caught by the 14 day isolation returning from NZ last Tuesday. Both of us have been tested (I've been coughing up lovely goop - bacterial infection - and my wife is pregnant so for some reason that means she gets tested?!?), we both came back negative, but we will be stuck here until Wednesday next regardless.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I am going to my local shop for bread and milk we have just made it last til today. Amazing that we can become excited about doing a mundane task after such a short time indoors.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re: Comments about Salisbury Plain et al

"Work at Porton Down, Make New Friends"