Crooked Feed!!!!

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I was amazed so had to rewind it and watch it again. Northampton pulled for a crooked feed at a scrum o_O👏 😍🥰

Game clock 29 mins.

When was the last time you saw that in the show game.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yes, stunned when I saw that. Though it wasn’t “just” a crooked feed, but direct to the 2nd row.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
It was straight to the second row without any contact by anyone in the front row. No strike by the hooker.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So is law 19.15(f) now revised at the Elite level to:

f. Straight to the front row or hooker’s foot but definitely not to the 2nd row if the ref is on your side of the scrum. The scrum-half may align their shoulder on the middle line of the scrum, thereby standing a shoulder-width closer to their side of the scrum.

?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
" The scrum-half may align their shoulder on the middle line of the scrum, thereby standing a shoulder-width closer to their side of the scrum."

well thats happened for decades!

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I haven't seen the game, but I wonder if this was the first and/or only crooked feed in that game, or were there others that were not pulled up?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I haven't seen the game, but I wonder if this was the first and/or only crooked feed in that game, or were there others that were not pulled up?
i stronlgy suspect tempo would have given a warning before sanctioning.
I think the FK was actually prompted by the hooker not striking.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Agree. But to be fair to the hooker he didn’t have a chance because it didn’t get anywhere near him. Any more crooked and it would have gone straight to the outside half!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agree. But to be fair to the hooker he didn’t have a chance because it didn’t get anywhere near him. Any more crooked and it would have gone straight to the outside half!
It doesn't matter whether he had a "chance" or not. The hooker 'must strike for the ball' not necessarily actually strike it!

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
i stronlgy suspect tempo would have given a warning before sanctioning.
I wonder if the next pre-match briefing has the SH asking “So as long as the hooker strikes I’m ok to feed straight to the #8, ok?”

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I had the whistle for u16 yesterday... the visiting scrum half stood left of the tunnel centre :rolleyes: and fed it backwards at such an extreme speed and angle the ball rebounded off his prop's leg straight to our 2nd row, who quickly moved it back and then our 8 was away before anyone knew what had happened... I was in such disbelief and trying not to laugh that I played on since the advantage seemed reasonable. 🤣

I had a word in the 9's ear before the next scrum!!!

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Does anyone think the tight head should have been penalised first for forcing the loose heads elbow down so low that he actually blocked the tunnel so the SH couldn't put the ball in straight.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
good point.

Thing is both binds are on the shirt. Just not long enough to keep the elbows out of it .

Certainly a "manage" scenario to prevent this.

2ndary hypothetical question.

has the s/half tried to put the ball down the centre and it just hit the dropped elbow/elbows ... what then?

Id imagine THAT would prompt a ref intervention about binds?