[Line out] Crusaders doing what they do best

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
IMG_0429.jpg IMG_0430.jpg

Crusaders doing what they do best. Should it really be allowed?

Lineout:

• Taufua goes forward and right
  • Barrett heads off forward and right
  • Blackadder fakes a jump and heads off forward and right

All nicely in position for the catch and drive.

And where's the ball?

Still in Codie Taylor's hands.

This is more than just a change of position.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Good innovative stuff at the lineout. I'm OK with it so long as the player who catches the ball did not jump early - if the player faking the jump is not the player who catches the ball, its immaterial IMO.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
It is contrary to several laws. If it is not against the law why bother having the law in the first place? Then if the law is not relevant here why not get rid of some of the others that are frequently ignored, especially at the top end of the game?
Quite often see this move being attempted and mention it in reports but there are mixed responses. My bosses agree it is against the law but seem powerless to do anything about it.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It is contrary to several laws. If it is not against the law why bother having the law in the first place? Then if the law is not relevant here why not get rid of some of the others that are frequently ignored, especially at the top end of the game?
Quite often see this move being attempted and mention it in reports but there are mixed responses. My bosses agree it is against the law but seem powerless to do anything about it.

So is hands in the ruck, but we allow..

- Scrum halves to dig for the ball
- Players on the ground in the ruck to keep their hand on the ball after its placed back
- Players on the ground in the ruck to hand the ball up to the scrumhalf

There are often dozens of potential PKs in every game, but as part of game management, referees decide what is material and what is not. If referees didn't do that, if they blew the whistle every time a PK offence happened, the game would run to a standstill.

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Good innovative stuff at the lineout. I'm OK with it so long as the player who catches the ball did not jump early - if the player faking the jump is not the player who catches the ball, its immaterial IMO.
And my first reaction is why do it then?

It's obviously a pre-planned move, so they obviously think that they're getting an advantage by leaving the LO early.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Some clubs who have pre planned line out moves , often advise me of same before kick off .
If this was worded to me , that players would leave the line out well before the ball goes in .
I would probably advise they stay in line out , until ball is thrown in .

May i ask , what was it they were looking to do .
Im guessing a driving maul ,,are they near opposition try line ..

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

It's often done to draw an early jump from a player from the other team. So Blue 5 jumps Red 5 follows as Red 5 is landing THe ball is thrown to Blue 5 who has an advantage. I woud argue that any fake jump is done mislead an opponant, It would therefore be material.

Balones

Post Likes
So is hands in the ruck, but we allow..

- Scrum halves to dig for the ball
- Players on the ground in the ruck to keep their hand on the ball after its placed back
- Players on the ground in the ruck to hand the ball up to the scrumhalf

There are often dozens of potential PKs in every game, but as part of game management, referees decide what is material and what is not. If referees didn't do that, if they blew the whistle every time a PK offence happened, the game would run to a standstill.

We are in agreement. I just think that we should get rid of the laws that appear to now be redundant. The law book would be even smaller then. I find it frustrating that if I didn’t point out in a report things that the referee ‘allowed’ or ‘missed’ I am the one that would get picked up on it and not the referee.

Usually in the scenario shown in the original post about half a dozen laws are being ignored.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[cynic mode]Perhaps the laws should be printed in different colours to indicate which are to be applied and which can be ignored. With a third colour for special cases, such as scrum halves.[/cynic mode]

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Those to be ignored could be printed in white

Although personally I’d prefer to see a lot of them enforced (feeding, off-feet being particular favourites)

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
The underlying problem is that Crusaders (mistakenly) think they are the best rugby club on the planet.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Could we have one of those experimental season where the referees actually applied the laws and see what happens.
Then decide which simply need to be rewritten or just discarded.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The underlying problem is that Crusaders (mistakenly) think they are the best rugby club on the planet.

Did you actually WATCH the video?

In the very first minute, its the INTERVIEWER who makes that claim.

And the Crusaders are not a rugby club, they are a regional franchise who represent about 100 rugby clubs

It's often done to draw an early jump from a player from the other team. So Blue 5 jumps Red 5 follows as Red 5 is landing THe ball is thrown to Blue 5 who has an advantage. I woud argue that any fake jump is done mislead an opponant, It would therefore be material.

Oh good. We don't want to allow any action to mislead opponents... so lets make the midfeild dummy pass illegal.

Lets remove all the stuff that makes the game exciting and unpredictable; stop all the things that allow for some individuality and innovation in the game. Lets have boring set piece to set piece rugger, just like the good old days!

And with that, I'm out

Last edited:

Balones

Post Likes
As far as I see the following laws are being ignored. 18.16, 18.17a, 18.20,18.29d,18.38.
Which of these , if any, should we remove from the law book? Can we replace them by something else?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Oh good. We don't want to allow any action to mislead opponents... so lets make the midfeild dummy pass illegal.

There is a difference between removing LEGAL deceptions from the game and, MATERIAL, ILLEGAL plays.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
are you guys seeing all this from 2 still photos in the OP or am I missing something?

Balones

Post Likes
are you guys seeing all this from 2 still photos in the OP or am I missing something?

Fair point but I believe that we (all?) understand what happens dynamically in such scenarios because it is quite a common occurrence now. It is one of those scenarios that seems to be becoming the accepted norm even if it is against the written laws.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
. It is one of those scenarios that seems to be becoming the accepted norm even if it is against the written laws.

It's worrying that we are heading into the RWC with quite a few of those

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
maybe it is peeling off?

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
maybe it is peeling off?
They can't peel until the ball leaves the hand and must keep moving until the line out has ended. Can't say there could even be any expectation that they are to be thrown or passed the ball. They are there purely to participate in the resulting maul.