[Line out] Crusaders doing what they do best

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Instead of names, could you give us numbers and what they've done in your opinion?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Returning to the OP . . .

Line-outs often produce really dynamic and creative action. I think it's time to define a 'line-out area' as being from the LOT to 10m back (backs off side line) and allow the players more flexibility in that space.

Not a fan of the driving maul, ho hum here goes another one, but a. I would be loathe to nit-pick the laws to prevent it and b. I'm surprised that defenses haven't found a way to kill it.

Blindside

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
There are ways of killing it, mainly by preventing an effective structure to develop regards the first 3 and then 5 players any greater freedom regards what is done within the 10M LOT would make the setting of the platform easier. In effect the defending side initially have an advantage in the drive because they can get lower and hit on landing, except they do not have the advantage of knowing where its going. Thats what makes it a fair contest. The players illegally "double banking" are taking away that defensive advantage as there is a near instantaneous platform. The problem is not that we need to relax laws but that we need to enforce them, the driving lineout can be defended by a well organised team effectively on the majority of occassions, the laws exist that make it a percentage decision rather than a racing certainty, just enforce the laws?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
View attachment 3882 View attachment 3881

Crusaders doing what they do best. Should it really be allowed?

Lineout:

• Taufua goes forward and right
  • Barrett heads off forward and right
  • Blackadder fakes a jump and heads off forward and right

All nicely in position for the catch and drive.

And where's the ball?

Still in Codie Taylor's hands.

This is more than just a change of position.

Yeah, nah. Not a big issue for me, just play on and get on with the game.

Blindside

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Yeah, nah. Not a big issue for me, just play on and get on with the game.

Can see why you may say/think that, as a decent referee you have not needed to get overly involved, as a spectacle the game has not been spoiled. The Crusaders coach is happy because he has been able to use one of the most effective and damaging weapons in the game the driving lineout and made it even more effective by deliberately and successfully assessing the reluctance of a referee to impose the laws of the game. One has done their job really well and the other hasn't done his job.

This isnt marginal or open to interpretation or inconsequential, it is a clear abuse of the rules that adds to significant advantage.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think I'm with you Blindside. The throwing in team should have an advantage given they are not the ones who put the ball out of play, however it has to be a proportionate one and I think the current line out laws achieve that if enforced. Pre-forming the drive goes too far.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Saturday's variation from the Crusaders (forgive the stills)

IMG_0432.jpg

5 & 7 (Whitelock and Todd)

IMG_0434.jpg

Stepped out , Whitelock even out of shot ready to drift back in. Hardly meets the definition of a peel as there was never an intention shown that either was going to continue moving or receive the ball thrown of the top.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
50 zip up and the Christchurch fans boo Quade Cooper onto the field. All class