[Tackle] Dangerous tackle... or not

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

There is nothing Barrett could have done to avoid or mitigate what happened here. I have seen referees give YC for this, but I agree 100% agree with the decision the TO4 made here.

Its good to see some common-sense coming back into rugby refereeing at this level.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Isn't jumping into a tackle foul play?

[LAWS]DANGEROUS PLAY
Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others.[/LAWS]

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I thought that, especially with a leading knee.
Surely that is as bad as a fend with an elbow.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

There is nothing Barrett could have done to avoid or mitigate what happened here. I have seen referees give YC for this, but I agree 100% agree with the decision the TO4 made here.

Its good to see some common-sense coming back into rugby refereeing at this level.

Frankly it was the only reasonable answer. calling that tackle foul play just opens the flood gates otherwise.

What was black #9's beef after having it explained - i can't lip read :). He didn't seem convinced of the clear explanation.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Isn't jumping into a tackle foul play?

[LAWS]DANGEROUS PLAY
Players must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others.[/LAWS]

Me too. I guess whilst the To4 didnt discuss that, it coems down what PK trumps what PK ... though I'd hope foul play trumps offside .

There's also a consideration (not generaly covered iin RU I accept) of players being responsible for their OWN safety and being PKd for irreseponsible personal acts (CF dropping one's own lifter!)

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Frankly it was the only reasonable answer. calling that tackle foul play just opens the flood gates otherwise.

What was black #9's beef after having it explained - i can't lip read :). He didn't seem convinced of the clear explanation.

didds

He was asking if the restart scrum was his team's feed, not realising that it was offside advantage.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I can understand the decision but would have been happier with penalising the winger for dangerous play, Both towards the tackler and himself. It is something we don’t want in the game and it was a missed opportunity to ensure that youngsters coming through are put off from doing it. I used to penalise it for this reason when refereeing and quite happy to support a referee who decides to do the same at any level.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Agree with Balones, I'd also penalise the winger for jumping into the tackle. As a result of his actions his knee makes contact with the tacklers head. Really not sure what his thought process was.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If I saw a players actions directly cause a knee to the head of another I’d be considering a sanction, certainly nothing against gold. It’s one of those crapppy one’s I have to explain every season at least once, it’s not against the laws to jump - until it becomes dangerous, at which point it’s too late :-(

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am happy with the T04 decision, would also be happy if he chose to PK black for the knee contact to the head (he may have thought it immaterial but def should have mentioned it!)

If that was a game of mine with no TMO, no replays, and probably every player has got a slightly different view of it --- bloody hell that would be a hard one to ref !

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Jumping the tackle: penalty against black 11
Yellow player did not do anything other than get into a good low tackling position and then have opposition winger fly over him.
Clear to me.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If I saw a players actions directly cause a knee to the head of another I’d be considering a sanction, certainly nothing against gold. It’s one of those crapppy one’s I have to explain every season at least once, it’s not against the laws to jump - until it becomes dangerous, at which point it’s too late :-(

Maybe it should be, at least to jump into a tackle.

But then, I think it should be illegal grasp and lift an opponent off the ground at all. If they had made that illegal back in 2009 when the famous Spear Tackle memo came out, it would have made things a lot easier.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Maybe it should be, at least to jump into a tackle.

This maybe too wooly bu7t even to the extent make it penalsisable for any player to perform any action that puts HIMSELF at risk - so ujumping into a tackle as we can see can end up with him being upended and thus pearing himself 9or herself of course).

And add "or TEAMATE" to that - so dropping your lifted jumper is a PK too.

??/

didds

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Not a chance of that happening Didds.
If that were the case , a lot of chasers jumping for the ball are clearly putting themselves in a dangerous position but that is completely ignored

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not a chance of that happening Didds.
If that were the case , a lot of chasers jumping for the ball are clearly putting themselves in a dangerous position but that is completely ignored

... currently...

of course you are right. I dont disagree.

Ive said enough over the years about kick defenders having to actually run away from a kick in order to not risk a card ;-)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
... currently...

of course you are right. I dont disagree.

Ive said enough over the years about kick defenders having to actually run away from a kick in order to not risk a card ;-)

And as I have said before, if rugby would adopt a variation of the Basketball Rules for players jumping for the ball, a lot of the arguments over who put who in danger would be settled

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
And as I have said before, if rugby would adopt a variation of the Basketball Rules for players jumping for the ball, a lot of the arguments over who put who in danger would be settled

absolutely.

didds

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes

Ian - could you outline how they do it in Basketball please? Thanks.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ian - could you outline how they do it in Basketball please? Thanks.

Sure.

In Basketball, when a player jumps to catch the ball...

1. if his landing area is clear of players at the moment he jumped, that space belongs to the jumper. If any opponent moves into that area, and the jumper hits or makes contact with him, that player will be called for contact. If its dangerous, a personal foul is called.

2. if his landing area is not clear of players at the moment he jumped, that space belongs to the players already there. If the jumper makes contact with any player already in the landing area, the jumper is called for a charging foul.

This could easily be adapted to Rugby in the scenario where a player kicks the ball, and the same player or a team mate or an opponent runs and jumps to catch the ball. The first player from either side to jump to catch the ball owns the space, but only if the landing area is clear, so

1. If there are no players of either side already in the landing area at the moment the player jumps, then other players must not move into that area to catch the ball or tackle the jumper until his feet touch the ground.

2. If there are one or more opponents is in the area where the ball is coming down, those opponents own the space where they are and the space near them (near being 1m as defined in the Laws). If a player jumps for the ball, he is responsible for his own safety in the event of a collision,