Danny Boy calling Broadsword

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In case any of you were wondering, we seem to be all all fine here in Nelson.

It was one helluva a shake though, just after midnight, a back and forth swaying motion that went on for about a minute. Very frightening, the house was creaking and rattling and a few books fell out of book shelves but no damage to the house.

Apparently a 2m high tsunami hit Kaikoura (South Island east coast) and people have been told to stay home from work in Wellington as there are burst water pipes and some damage.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
good to hear.

how does it compare to the one from a few years ago?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
good to hear.

how does it compare to the one from a few years ago?

We hardly felt either of the bad ones to hit Christchurch back in 2010 & 2011. That's probably becasue of the geotech; they were both on a different tectonic plate from the one we sit on.

Felt this one though, it was a real good shake. Once I got out of bed, it was difficult to stand up. The floor was swaying back and forth at a frequency of about 1 sec.... cue remarks about drinking before going to bed. :)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Glad to hear all is well - but wasn't it Broadsword calling Danny Boy?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
good news indeed.

I heard on the news that this quake was stronger than the one a few years ago but thankfully the epicentre was in a fairly rural location so the damage/loss of life was significantly reduced.

From the news I gather there have been two fatalities in the recent quake.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I heard on the news that this quake was stronger than the one a few years ago but thankfully the epicentre was in a fairly rural location so the damage/loss of life was significantly reduced.

Fifty times more energy released than the 2011 quake that killed 185 people in Christchurch. If that had struck at a major centre, there would have been devastation far beyond anything we saw in that quake.

Dodged a bullet I think

From the news I gather there have been two fatalities in the recent quake.

Both on the SI East Coast, one in a collapsed homestead, the other from a heart attack.