Dealing with Injuries

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
In a match I was at recently Red winger was injured while making a tackle near the touch line and rolled off the pitch.

He was being attended to by the physio and the game was set to continue, the ref hadn't spotted it and as the player was off the pitch and being attended to it didn't feature on his radar.

The red coach shouts at the physio to treat the player on the pitch and the physio then moved the player onto the pitch and the coach then brought the injured player to the attention of the ref who stopped the game. ref didn't hear the interaction between coach and physio.

How would you deal with this if you as a ref had heard everything ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In France Austria mbappe, injured, and who had left the pitch, returned to the pitch and lay down in order to get the game stopped.

He got a YC for that.

I think a YC in rugby would stand up just as well

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
what if the player was unconscious and the physio had moved him onto the pitch in that state ?
YC an unconscious player
ban the physio form the FoP and thus deny that team medical cover?
(no easy answers here I know!)

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Is the player not entitled to be on the pitch injured or not?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Is the player not entitled to be on the pitch injured or not?
if he has left the pitch injured, then if he recovers he needs permission to rejoin.
If his is still injured he can't come back on and remain injured.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
if he has left the pitch injured, then if he recovers he needs permission to rejoin.
If his is still injured he can't come back on and remain injured.
If he has left 'injured' then he cannot return , it's not a matter of getting permission.
Prior to the stoppage he had not been replaced so is entitled to be assessed to deem whether he is actually injured or not.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Under any circumstance I'd only stop the game if an injured player was seriously injured or likely to get in the way of play.

In the OP I'd play on and let the physio continue to do his/her thing. Funny how that often brings about a miracle recovery

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hmm…
So leaves the pitch because injured. Ok, no issues.
Then comes back on to stop the game … I think I could argue that’s under 3.7
If a player re-joins or a replacement joins the match without the referee’s permission and the referee believes the player did so to gain an advantage, the player is guilty of misconduct. Sanction: Penalty.

At least, that’d be my interpretation :devilish:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hmm…
So leaves the pitch because injured. Ok, no issues.
Then comes back on to stop the game … I think I could argue that’s under 3.7
If a player re-joins or a replacement joins the match without the referee’s permission and the referee believes the player did so to gain an advantage, the player is guilty of misconduct. Sanction: Penalty.

At least, that’d be my interpretation :devilish:
Who deemed the player 'injured'?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In a match I was at recently Red winger was injured while making a tackle near the touch line and rolled off the pitch.

He was being attended to by the physio and the game was set to continue, the ref hadn't spotted it and as the player was off the pitch and being attended to it didn't feature on his radar.

The red coach shouts at the physio to treat the player on the pitch and the physio then moved the player onto the pitch and the coach then brought the injured player to the attention of the ref who stopped the game. ref didn't hear the interaction between coach and physio.

How would you deal with this if you as a ref had heard everything ?
In this specific scenario it seems to me the ref was totally unaware of the scenario, the first thing he noticed is a player on the pitch being treated, so in those circs no dilemma

The game was "set to continue" so the ball was dead ? We are about to have a lineout ?

If the ball is dead, then time off and allow physio to treat the player, regardless of which side of the touchline he is lying. So again no real dilemma

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For me play continues hereever the injured player is being treated. UNLESS there is a safety risk. I'm not likely to be stopping the game.
If I was aware of the coaches actions I would deal with the coach and probably (usual caveats apply) as to his future conduct. what he is suggesting is potentially serious for the player and is unacceptable.

If I was aware the physio had put the player at risk I would warn the physio also.

I would probably report the situation to the union so they could consider any action they wished to take.

As for the player, he has done nothing wrong in all realistic senses. I'd do nothing about him. He was being treated and what he physio says you do in a situation like that.

The recent footbal incident with the French player Mbappe is different as the player chose to return to the pitch and fall down not the coach / physio. Booking him was fair. To card this winger seems harsh.

Last edited:

Nilo

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
For me play continues hereever the injured player is being treated. UNLESS there is a safety risk. I'm not likely to be stopping the game.
If I was aware of the coaches actions I would deal with the coach and probably (usual caveats apply) as to his future conduct. what he is suggesting is potentially serious for the player and is unacceptable.

If I was aware the physio had put the player at risk I would warn the physio also.

I would probably report the situation to the union so they could consider any action they wished to take.

As for the player, he has done nothing wrong in all realistic senses. I'd do nothing about him. He was being treated and what he physio says you do in a situation like that.

The recent footbal incident with the French player Mbappe is different as the player chose to return to the pitch and fall down not the coach / physio. Booking him was fair. To card this winger seems harsh.
I'd take the same approach as this. However I would probably still give a penalty to the opposing team in this instance as it is a safety risk. Whether they were on or off the pitch, I'd be playing on if it wasn't serious, so to purposely put a player back into harms way should be penalised IMO.

I would warn the physio/coach regarding the incident but otherwise not penalise the player any further. I'd agree I'd then report it to the union for them to take further if needed.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Its an U18 cup semi final. Very tight game.

So to be clear, the red player tackles a player and they both end up off the pitch, ball has been kicked down the pitch and foes into touch.

Red player has picked up a knock and is lying on the ground off the pitch and is receiving treatment.

Play is to restart with a lineout to blue.

The red coach shouts at the physio to move the player onto the pitch so that the game will be stopped and they wont be 14 v 15.

If you as a ref or AR spot this what would you do ?

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Make it known you have seen their little game, if they continue -stop the game; Stern words and a follow up report about one or both (or even all three) of the interested persons.
Delay permission for returning to play for the injured player until you feel equity/wasted time has been applied.

This is not soccer!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I prebrief medics and coaches - play continues unless I'm heading back to you, or it's serious. You can come straight on if one of your players is down and needs attention.

Luckily this is one of the areas where they generally play ball and don't mess us around - but we have trained medics/trainers handling it, and not a coach who might be trying to get an edge.