Defender stopped and held up

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
For today's school match.

Ball put into in goal by GOLD.

WHITE picks up and try's to run out but is caught.

A lot of bodies join the fray.

WHITE ends up at the bottom of a pile of bodies and puts the ball down in goal.

I award scrum 5 as felt that he clearly did not put it down straight away but am really not sure it was right.

Help!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
who put the ball in-goal?

who made it dead?

22 drop out is your answer.

All that stuff about delaying the puuting the ball down is to do with KOs and stuff and returning to the centre for a scrum and what not.

didds

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
who put the ball in-goal?

who made it dead?

22 drop out is your answer.

All that stuff about delaying the puuting the ball down is to do with KOs and stuff and returning to the centre for a scrum and what not.

didds

Just when I thought I had in goal worked out............

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Just when I thought I had in goal worked out............
In-goal law was a nightmare for me too to begin with. Suddenly though it will just click, and you will wonder what you were worried about.

Keep it simple; as Didds says just ask yourself who put it in-goal?

If the attackers put it in-goal and it goes dead - 22m DO. This is what happened in your game.
If the defenders put it in-goal and it goes dead - 5m scrum.

That will cover probably 95% of it. The bits that will throw you include a knock-on into in-goal and made dead - is a scrum even though the attackers put it in-goal. And if a KO / restart goes into in-goal, the defender must dab it down "without delay" (NB it doesn't say "immediately") to get the kick again / scrum option. Ie if he fannies about before making it dead, he is deemed to have played on and it's a 22m DO.

Last edited:

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
What about if the defender picks up after being out in goal by attacker, is tackled and does not dab the ball down but is emeshed in a maul and effectively "held up" over the in goal area?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
What about if the defender picks up after being out in goal by attacker, is tackled and does not dab the ball down but is emeshed in a maul and effectively "held up" over the in goal area?
Come again! You been drinking? :biggrin: I assume you mean:

• If the defender picks up [the ball] after
  • [it was] put in goal by attacker
  • is tackled and does not dab the ball down but
  • is [caught up] in a maul [like thing] and
  • effectively "held up" in goal?
I know what you're thinking - it was held up in-goal so why not a 5m attacking scrum?

Ball is put in-goal by attackers, the defender is caught up but fails to ground it. There can be no maul in-goal so maul laws and maul offside lines don't apply. Personally I would give it a few seconds and blow it up when it became unplayable - ie the ball is now dead. I would say 22m DO. If anyone questioned me, I would just say "It was put in-goal by the attacking side and became dead. Ie 22m DO".

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

Taff is right. In-goal is a nightmare. You can deal with the try, and you can deal with the possible but inconclusive try. Everything else can trip you up, until you get the following into your head:

a) who put it into in-goal? Identify that team, hold the thought ad infinitum because you'll need it when the ball becomes dead.
b) ball can become dead by: i) a try is scored; ii) defender grounds ball; iii) ball crosses one of the lines separating in-goal from out-of-bounds; play comes to a halt. There may be a few more - ignore "offences" such as knock-on for now.
c) whistle when ball becomes dead
d) if try is scored, award it. Otherwise, if defenders put it into in-goal, 5m scrum. If attackers took it in, 22m drop-out.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHOSE FAULT IT WAS THAT THE BALL BECAME DEAD!