Defensive ruck inside the defensive 5... what do you do..

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Situation in a game I've had yesterday -

Red have been tackled just in front of their own try line. A ruck forms, and the ball is presented so it is just in front of the try line.

Through no ones fault, the ball has drifted back so it's just on the try line. Not from being carried or pushed over the line, just from people rucking over and knocking it etc.

Blue spots this, comes round the side and touches down...

What do you give?

I went penalty red - blue in at the side. Purely as there was an internal mild panic of 'was the ball on the line when blue left or not' etc.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It seems like you are answering your own question!

You made a judgement call and that is what you are there for. Well done.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If ball was on the line , then try. If not then PK to red

Yup, ruck is now over, can’t be in at the side - however hopefully you sold your decision, it’s one of those ones that just looks wrong

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Yup, ruck is now over, can’t be in at the side - however hopefully you sold your decision, it’s one of those ones that just looks wrong

However, in my experience, this is one that players are clued up on, even at age grade. Hopefully general respect for referee took precedence and the players got on with the game.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sounds like a try to me but, as ever, would need to see it.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
However, in my experience, this is one that players are clued up on, even at age grade. Hopefully general respect for referee took precedence and the players got on with the game.
As an obnoxious scrum half, I really was. I was always looking for the ball to be on or over the line to dive on. We won a couple of games by that score.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Was the "scorer" onside before the ball emerged? If not PK him as he was offside at the ruck " Never onside!". If he was onside at the ruck and only moved once the ball was out then it is a try.