• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Thinking about the ways health & safety is always in the forefront of thinking, just wondering how many clubs have a publicly accessible De-Fib, i.e on the wall outside the club house, that anyone can grab if there was a need for it, not just in the physio kits.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
We have one yes

Jz558

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
There's one fitted on the wall of our clubhouse which was successfully used the first weekend after fitting.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
My club has one and I used it on a guy who collapsed playing bowls a few years ago, Sadly he didn't make it but I would urge anyone to go on a course to learn the basics.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've asked about one being installed at the main grounds down here and got told that there are other more important things to spend money on. Based on their response, new kits for touring sides (that play 3 games of sevens) along with covering the costs of 4 coaches/managers is more important than a defib.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As an aside, Freemason Lodges often provide money for this sort of thing, if your local club needs one, approach your local lodge and ask.

IdrisDragon

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
WRU have a grant to have one at every club and there are lots of funding sources for help in England (parish councils and the like).

If you are a member at a club make sure someone is charged with regularly checking the battery and pad expiry dates.

Second the suggestion on doing the course (done one with SJA for work). The defibs are designed to be user friendly but familirisation is helpful.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I’ve yet to see one close to pitch side on most of the cattle pastures I ref on (low level local adult teams in the US) but the college and High School games tend to be in college/school stadiums that may have an AED - but maybe not that close to hand if we’re on the outer fields… which brings me to what I really want to say which is learn CPR!

As we’ll as reffing I’m also a volunteer for the local Fire Dept and we have refreshers each year on amongst other things, CPR/AED. We immediately start CPR after a collapse and if available we use the AEDs as well, but the paramedics stress that AEDs often don’t restart the heart so be prepared to just keep plugging away until the ambulance turns up with.

So - AEDs are great to have available but, please, learn CPR.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
As an aside, Freemason Lodges often provide money for this sort of thing, if your local club needs one, approach your local lodge and ask.

Defibrillators should work well in the Lodge as you'll all have your nipples out anyway!