deliberate into touch after knock-on

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If there is a knock-on or forward pass, you call "Advantage". If foul play follows, you award the PK.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If there is a knock-on or forward pass, you call "Advantage". If foul play follows, you award the PK.

so in dickie's scenario

So blue is winning by 1 point, time has expired - green knocks ball forward, ball hits ground, blue player catches ball and throws it into crowd in celebration of the win. ???

it's a PK to green ?

(now, if blue celebrated by punching green in the head, then I would be with you ... )

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Don't we judge if a pass is forward or not based on how it comes out of the hands? And we don't take into consideration the pass ends up due to momentum or wind?
Yes. We should. Just tried to create some doubt. I see a considerable amount of inconsistency and error at grassroots level on this matter.

Balones

Post Likes
while I don't disagree with you, do you agree that this is contrary to law?

No. Scenario 1 - C&O to everyone that it is a knock on. Ball hits floor. The next decision is down to the referee. Serious foul play - punching etc = PK. ‘Celebration’ by opposition by throwing ball away. = Either game over or scrum depending on time. I think this is what be expected by most people.
Scenario 2 - You said C&O forward pass. Therefore more or less the same situation as above. If it is not C&O then referee makes a decision, which may well be PK/YC, depending what he saw.

Balones

Post Likes
In the situation I saw in the match we had a (probable/possible) knock on. The referee decided that there was ‘foul play’ before there was a C&O outcome. Therefore the YC decision is down to the referee as to how he saw the situation. After his interpretation of what happened he applied the appropriate law. Could he/did he argue that an ‘adjustment/regather’ was possible? Really we won’t know unless we ask the referee directly why he gave the decision he did.

Balones

Post Likes

Not totally disagreeing with you but I would expect a referee to call ‘advantage’ only if he felt that one could accrue and not call it automatically.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Not totally disagreeing with you but I would expect a referee to call ‘advantage’ only if he felt that one could accrue and not call it automatically.
Given that he could play advantage, I don't see why he could not short-circuit that option and go straight for a PK if appropriate.