[Tackle] Deliberate Knock On

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Guys, I've been looking at the videos for the Law examples on the WR website. One of them in the Knock On section 11.3. The example given is in a Italy v Scotland match. This doesn't seem to be a very good example to have.

Reasoning is it seems that the Italian player tackles the Scottish No 6, and it slips out of his hand as he's looking to offload. I don't think the Italian players in the video touch the ball.

https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=11

Thoughts?
Am I wrong?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
He passes it, then the ball C&O touches the Italian's hand for me as it starts tumbling after that.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Guys, I've been looking at the videos for the Law examples on the WR website. One of them in the Knock On section 11.3. The example given is in a Italy v Scotland match. This doesn't seem to be a very good example to have.

Reasoning is it seems that the Italian player tackles the Scottish No 6, and it slips out of his hand as he's looking to offload. I don't think the Italian players in the video touch the ball.

Thoughts?
Am I wrong?

Are you looking at the correct video for Deliberate knock on?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Oh, I see - you were thinking Scotland were penalised because 6 lost it forward! No, the pass *to* blue 6 is knocked on by white 13. If you watch, the referee goes back and indicates a penalty to Scotland.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes

Thoughts?
Am I wrong?

you're looking at the wrong incident: it's the pass from Scottish 11 before then that is touched by italian 13

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It is a good example of what is currently in vogue.

The law says: 11.3 A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward.

So . . . . does he "[FONT=fs_blakeregular]intentionally knock the ball forward" [/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]or was it a lame attempt to intercept? Was it a true PK offense? This is how it's most often called and with a YC to boot.

Over the past couple of 7s tourneys I've seen two intentional knock-ons called where the offender jumped up for the ball with both hands reaching above his head. And, they both got the two minutes off the pitch. That, in my opinion is over kill.

[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I see the the offence now, have to say I didn't think it was C and O. Using stills I'm still unsure if it actually hit his finger tips. But I do get it now. I still think there are better examples though. Thanks gents.

Last edited: