Devon 2 Assessment

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Here's my assessment from my match at the weekend, Salcombe v N Tawton in a Federation appointment.

Referee Report Form 2007/8

Name SIMON GRIFFITHS
Referee’s Level 10
Society PLYMOUTH
Date 16.02.08.

Home Team SALCOMBE 20pts
Away Team NORTH TAWTON 15pts

Description of the Match and its challenge for the Referee

Game Level 10

This was a Devon 2 league game between the home side who are the current leaders and North Tawton who are towards the bottom of the table but these positions were not relevant to day as the visitors took the game to Salcombe and went into a 10 point lead in the first quarter. The home side fought back to level the scores by half-time and then went on to outscore North Tawton by two tries to one to scrape a win. As this shows it was a close game, which was keenly contested but as they both lacked basic skills at times there were frequent mistakes made and wrong options taken, especially by the home side whom constantly either kicked their possession away or ran the ball back into the forwards where the visitors had a slight advantage and so frequent stoppages occurred. Even though this game was keenly contested it was played in good spirit with a minimum of foul play.

Simon contributed to this see-saw game in a calm confident manner he showed good man-management skills and his verbal communication, whistle and signals were consistent all game and effective for most of it. The players listen to his instruction and responded positively to him and his decisions on most occasions with the minimum of dissent. The level of compliance however did lapse a little in the second half and he did have to issue a yellow card on 48 minutes to the visitors No 7 for repeated infringements at the breakdowns as they became untidy, due too many bodies on the ground and so the ball became tied in frequently and this made the game more disjointed.

I felt his performance was quite good and he certainly shows some potential to progress. His general fitness was fine today, he did lack a little pace but I put this down to lack of match practise, which I am convinced will improve if he can get to referee on a regular basis for the rest of the season. If he can manage to do this then I feel that he should be considered for promotion by the end of this season.

Please outline up to three areas for improvement (using Key Components) and OFFER SOLUTIONS

TACKLE
These situations today, especially as the game progress, became quite untidy and the ball was very slow at times being recycled. Too many players did not release the player on the ground quickly enough and too many did not stay on their feet and were allowed to flop over the ball slowing its’ release even more.
ADVICE
Get to the breakdown early, cir circulate more and use concise verbal instructions like “RELEASE” or “ROLL-AWAY” to speed up the recycling of the ball, and if players wilfully fall over the players on the ground make sure you penalise early in the game and get compliance.

RUCK
Again you need to circulate the breakdowns more as well as missing the players not on their feet you also missed several ones who joined the ruck in front of the offside line and the non-participating players who were encroaching offside.
ADVICE
Set your stall out early in the game and use the yellow card sanction when necessary to reinforce your requirements ( As we discussed, you had the perfect opportunity 19 minutes into the game when you should have sin-binned the North Tawton skipper No 8 for handling in the ruck as Salcombe were attacking just inside the visitors’22 meter line, he knew what he was doing stopping that attack.)As you move around the breakdown glance up once in a while and look laterally and as you position your self to monitor the non-participating players rotate your body 45 degrees to the attacking side and then this will open up your field of vision and you will be able to prevent the players encroaching and cutting down space, as the visitors were doing today.

Please list up to three of the referee’s strengths in this match

SCRUM
There was good steady engagement of the scrums today, they were well managed all game. There were no collapses and only 5 resets and 3 of these were for the scrums wheeling past 90 degrees. Well done.

LINEOUT
Also well managed today, the gap was well maintained, you ensured that there was fair competition for the ball by the participating players and kept the back lines on side using clear verbal instructions and signals.

ADVANTAGE
This was played all game, you signalled clearly, when you were playing it and informed the players when it was over. You also brought play back for the original offence if no advantage was gained.

Management MD
Date 19.02.08

POTENTIAL (Please X the appropriate box.)
This referee is capable of refereeing at the next level of game X
This referee is correctly graded at this level
This referee would be more comfortable at a lower level game

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
The 'X' at the bottom says all you would want to hear, well done.:clap:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Simon

some similarities for development areas to the match in Hampshire I assessed you on - with lots of good management and communication, line out and advantage etc but you are letting yourself down and preventing a G. Well done for using Yellow for repeated infringements and slowing ball down at rucks, but it sounds as if you missed the critical one by North Tawton skipper No 8 for handling in the ruck in 22m.

At level 10 matches you should be getting Gs, you certainly have the potential.

1. he did lack a little pace but I put this down to lack of match practise

2. Tackle - Get to the breakdown early, cir circulate more and use concise verbal instructions like “RELEASE” or “ROLL-AWAY” to speed up the recycling of the ball, and if players wilfully fall over the players on the ground make sure you penalise early in the game and get compliance.

Use the sequence - tackler away, tackled do something positive, arriving on feet and thru gate, call tackle ruck transition - zero tolerance, 'tick the box for each stage' and penalise / card accordingly.

3. RUCK
Again you need to circulate the breakdowns more as well as missing the players not on their feet you also missed several ones who joined the ruck in front of the offside line and the non-participating players who were encroaching offside.
Same advice I gave you = As you move around the breakdown glance up once in a while and look laterally and as you position your self to monitor the non-participating players rotate your body 45 degrees to the attacking side and then this will open up your field of vision