[Law] Discussion with other sports re officiating/laws

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am currently sitting watching Leicester City play Arsenal. Play was stopped for a VAR (TMO) review, but I noticed that unlike Rugby the clock continues running.My question is, do the law makers in one sport have meetings/discussions with other sports to discuss problems and laws? I feel the stadium clock and stopping it would benefit Football.
Anyone out there know if such discussions happen, or would they be pointless.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
So if the review takes 3 minutes the game in effect only lasts 87 minutes? That 3 minutes doesnt become time added on once 90 minutes is up?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Football adds time on, rugby stops the clock.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Some years ago I attended a seminar hosted by Chris White that included soccer referees. One female soccer ref, (by then refereeing at national league level) remembered her first league game. She made a decision that one team didn't like and was immediately surrounded by players shouting at her. She blew the whistle loudly and said "I am going to step back a couple of yards and if anybody follows me they will get a yellow card. It took 5 cards before they really believed her. After the match her assessor congratulated her , but advised her never to try it again.

She also commented that they would love to have the option to move a free kick forward 10metres as in rugby.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The obvious question is why did her assessor praise her then tell her to not repeat it? The only reason I can think of is that nobody else did it therefore it was out of sync with expectations?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The obvious question is why did her assessor praise her then tell her to not repeat it? The only reason I can think of is that nobody else did it therefore it was out of sync with expectations?

He said something about clever management but a misuse of yellow cards.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Televised Hockey lets the captain claim one video review. If they are right, they keep their review. If not, or if there is no clear evidence, they lose it. Hockey can also give a player two cards of the same colour if they are for different offences. It has three levels of card, green (2 minutes), yelllow (5) and red.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
They tried it but it got kicked out for some reason.I remember winning a bet on this with a football ref in front of his friends in a bar., cost him £20. he was adamant it never existed in football
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/729530.stm

It was the players who didn't like it. Unlike rugby, they can't move the ball back through the mark. When a FK was awarded in a perfectly good area for a shot at goal direct from the free, canny defences were committing another offence, bringing the mark 10m closer to the goal - and rendering it useless for any kind of shot at goal.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

She also commented that they would love to have the option to move a free kick forward 10metres as in rugby.

Which of of course is seldom used in TV rugby, it's gone quite out of fashion

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
It took 5 cards before they really believed her.

i read that and thought how could they play on with 5 players having been yellow carded. took me a while before i twigged that other sports don't have the concept of a 10 minute naughty step as we do... :redface: