Diving to score

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
We are - I think - broadly agreed that hurdling a potential tackler and having boots near the head is a bit of a no-no.

I had two tries scored on Saturday on what was quite a trying day generally. Ruck formed 1 - 2m from the goal line. Black picked up the ball and dived.

His dive was not directly downwards, because Red D was crouched low, assuming he was going to drive low. In essence, his dive height was waist - shoulder high.

I don't think he endangered anyone. Red coach was apoplectic, to put it mildly.

So, what's vox populi?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It seems that your opinion was that it wasn't dangerous therefore try stands!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
We are - I think - broadly agreed that hurdling a potential tackler and having boots near the head is a bit of a no-no.

I had two tries scored on Saturday on what was quite a trying day generally. Ruck formed 1 - 2m from the goal line. Black picked up the ball and dived.

His dive was not directly downwards, because Red D was crouched low, assuming he was going to drive low. In essence, his dive height was waist - shoulder high.

I don't think he endangered anyone. Red coach was apoplectic, to put it mildly.

So, what's vox populi?

Has the coach never seen a game of Rugby before?

As interesting to me is, did the Red players think (of their coach) "Yeah - right on coach man, you tell 'im" (or whatever words you colonials use in such circumstances) or was it more "Gee coach you're way outta line there". And if the former did the players respond in a similar vein?

Other than that what Decorily says.

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
What was he angry about? If you'd sent red off for making contact with the head, I could understand... but that you allowed a player to dive for a try?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
"Apoplectic" ......such a lovely word.
Pity it doesn't have a different meaning!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did the coach think it was dangerous, or did he think it was against the Law

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sounds like I would have allowed the try as it has been described. However, I think we have to be careful.
I do watch some NFL games where you can see touchdowns scored via a ball carrier leaping, athletically into the air to dive over many bodies and prone players who are on the goal-line. It's rare but possible in rugby , to see a similar thing. At such times, I have to ask myself "Can a would-be defender tackle that player legally ?" - A player cannot leap 5 feet into the air to avoid a would-be defender tackling them - right ?
I guess that's what the OP meant about "dangerous".

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Waist to shoulder high seems to indicate he dived over a crouching defensive player. Is this correct? In this instance I'm not sure whether there is an offence, it doesn't feel right but help me on what law is being breached.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes, that's about right.

He is untackleable but so - in theory - is anyone diving. I couldn't make it "dangerous" in my mind.

I stand to be convinced otherwise.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You see this all the time at the top level, especially so in the corners where they dive high and come in almost head down to avoid putting a foot into touch.

Coach needs speaking to about game values...respect, discipline, etc.

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
The only Law this might controvene is 9.11 Player must not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
But is this sort of diving dangerous or reckless to others? Opinions needed to get a consensus. I'm on the OK side, as long as players are diving to score, I'd be less happy in open play away from the try line (although you would be highly unlikely to se this except diving over a ruck which is specifically outlawed anyway.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If a player is diving for the corner say 5ft in the air, can he be legally tackled?
If he is grabbed by the legs and lands on his head after losing the ball what the hell decision would that be?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
(although you would be highly unlikely to se this except diving over a ruck which is specifically outlawed anyway.

well, not quite - it's illegal to jump on top of it
[LAWS]Players must not:
Pick the ball up with their legs.
Intentionally collapse a ruck or jump on top of it.
Intentionally step on another player.
Fall over the ball as it is coming out of a ruck.
Kick, or attempt to kick, the ball out of a ruck.
Sanction: Penalty.
[/LAWS]

Arguably it's OK to dive OVER it.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If a player is diving for the corner say 5ft in the air, can he be legally tackled?

Sure, no problem.

Probably easier to legally tackle him, than a player who slides in from 5 metres out on a wet & slippery track.