Do you mind wearing this mic

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
an interesting general division of views:

UK refs - treat it with suspicion, can they use it against me, what does my Society think, don't do it unless there's something in it for me, don't do favours for one team over the other

Aus refs - knock yourself out, there's no downside, at best its a great learning opportunity for you, at worst its a great learning opportunity for the team
For me it is more one one side getting an advantage. EIther both sides are miked up or neither.
We are experimenting with ref cams at the moment. I hope these prove usefull and go out into wider use.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me it is more one one side getting an advantage. EIther both sides are miked up or neither.
We are experimenting with ref cams at the moment. I hope these prove usefull and go out into wider use.
Camera strapped to the body?
I have to say I am not a fan of those. They have gone from elite rugby thankfully

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What‘s the driver behind this and is it at all levels? Is that for feedback/training, for supporting disciplinary reports - or for gathering evidence for ref abuse/assault reports?

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
What‘s the driver behind this and is it at all levels? Is that for feedback/training, for supporting disciplinary reports - or for gathering evidence for ref abuse/assault reports?
I was filmed using a side line camera last year (U11s community rugby 10s comp) and it was fantastic.

Wore a tracking device and the camera then automatically tracked me and kept me in frame during the game.

The footage was then uploaded to a website and I was able to view it from home.

As a newish ref, it was really great to see my communication rather than just having feedback from people watching - helped me really understand how my messages were interpreted by the players, coaches and side line.

If you get a chance to have one of these cameras film you referee, I'd highly recommend it.

(I'd love to see these cameras at all the junior gala days.)

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
totally agree. You don't realise how shite your secondary signals are til you see yourself on vid
Have to agree with that, a lot of clubs around here are using the Veo system to record their games for analysis. As a ref all you have to do is ask the coach for a link to the match and then you can view it from the cloud. The AI tracks the ball so as long as you can roughly keep up with play you should be in shot. Audio can be a bit rough as they pick up a lot of wind noise.
I have got a couple of videos of me and I didn't realise how understated some of my secondary signals were. For "not rolling away" I have no idea how anyone on the touchline would notice the small wrist movement I was doing. In my head I was doing giant windmills from my elbow.
Just another thing to add to the list of work-ons 🥴

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I often mention to refs "MUCH BIGGER, AND SLOWER" signals so that you are communicating to the coaches and spectators as well as the players stood next to you.

Best advice I was given is to find a shop window or full length mirror and watch yourself doing some signals to see how big they 'feel' when done as per the law book.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I often mention to refs "MUCH BIGGER, AND SLOWER" signals so that you are communicating to the coaches and spectators as well as the players stood next to you.

Best advice I was given is to find a shop window or full length mirror and watch yourself doing some signals to see how big they 'feel' when done as per the law book.

That's what I always used to advise.
The signals are not for the players, they can hear you. It's for the spectators 50metres away behind you. So give a signal someone in that position can see.
Theatrical, not subtle.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

Might get some funny looks doing this in the middle of the Trafford Centre! 🤣

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I have no problem with wearing a mic for a team video, I’ve done it once and would have no objection to doing it again.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think a combination of all those are the drivers.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Camera strapped to the body?
I have to say I am not a fan of those. They have gone from elite rugby thankfully
I've not see one yet myself so not sure as to the details, but yes they're attached to the referee. They are giving them to a group of refs for a few months and them moving them on to a new group.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
We don't know how much that ref had to put up with, but I would have to be pushed very hard before I used that tone and told a player to shut up. Maybe its the high school teacher in me and dealing with adolescents all day has given me a longer fuse.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Opinion seems to vary on it.

This came up in one of my games last season, and the captain took issue with it. My rebuttal of "Your players appeal for everything, right or wrong, and mostly wrong. You have one in the bin for dissent. I have asked you how many times to get better control of your players. I called your player over to warn him about dangerous tackling, and he started trying to talk over me from 5m away. I have asked politely, and been ignored. I am out of options. If your players appeal to me, or dissent, again, they will be walking, and I can't guarantee what colour the card will be"

Shame faced captain walks backwards.

Tried to raise it at full time.

"Do I criticize every thing your players do? Do you hear me editorialize every time Junior misses the fly half? Do you hear me swearing at your players when they mess it up? You do not. I don't know why your players think it's OK to treat me like pondlife from the first minute and then expect me to take it. You will get respect when you offer it"

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We don't know how much that ref had to put up with, but I would have to be pushed very hard before I used that tone and told a player to shut up. Maybe its the high school teacher in me and dealing with adolescents all day has given me a longer fuse.
I agree. This is a referee who has either lost, or is on the verge of losing, control. An angry sports official is never a good look. There's a danger that younger refs watch this being "applauded" and think it should be emulated.
Maybe CT posted it as a reasonable reason why a ref shouldn't wear a mike

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
A reasonable reason why a ref shouldn't wear a mike
hahahaha, a great a response to asking to mic up:

"Sorry coach, I've all ready gone viral once for yelling at players, and your bunch look like they'll push me to the edge".