Do you mind wearing this mic

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think the reason these clips go viral is that they are incongruous - we don't expect a referee to talk to players like that.
With reason - 'shut up' is likely to charge up the situation, rather than calm it. Similarly the sarcasm.

(I used to think much the same with most of the 'viral' Nigel Owens clips, to the annoyance of everyone here!)

If I heard that when coaching a ref, I'd ask him about it at the end : could you have handled that better?

however, on that occasion it seems to have worked, perhaps he felt all the others players were already annoyed with the mouthy one, and would be on his side.

so happy days :)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I think the reason these clips go viral is that they are incongruous - we don't expect a referee to talk to players like that.
With reason - 'shut up' is likely to charge up the situation, rather than calm it. Similarly the sarcasm.

(I used to think much the same with most of the 'viral' Nigel Owens clips, to the annoyance of everyone here!)

If I heard that when coaching a ref, I'd ask him about it at the end : could you have handled that better?

however, on that occasion it seems to have worked, perhaps he felt all the others players were already annoyed with the mouthy one, and would be on his side.

so happy days :)
Which is really the litmus test.

i'm not going to say this fella did much wrong. We have a really short clip, decontextualizing what happened. It's also fair to assume that he knows his audience and what will work. Side note: Ben O'Keeffe gave him two thumbs up on social media for how he handled it.

I've found that grassroots over here is very different to the grassroots I started with in Hampshire. It's a lot more robust. I've had to rework a lot of what I say and how I say it.

EG: "You're running me out of option" doesn't fly here. I think one captain in four understands what that means. Throw in the fact that 85% are Leaguies, getting them to adapt to the Union way of doing things is a long fight not worth having. Hence, occasionally, it's fight fire with fire.

All of which is a long way of saying: until I refereed Bush Footie, I could not envisage the circumstances in which I would tell a player to shut up. Now? Very easily.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
EG: "You're running me out of option" doesn't fly here. I think one captain in four understands what that means.

It always makes me laugh when I see watchers reports where they pick up referees for not saying this.

Because every time I hear the referees go down the correct, and none committal route, very carefully wording it so as not to paint themselves into a corner, by saying "my options are becoming limited", or "my next decision may be different".

Inevitably this results in the captain shouting at the top of his voice "he says next ones in the bin" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes subtlety is wasted.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Because every time I hear the referees go down the correct, and none committal route, very carefully wording it so as not to paint themselves into a corner, by saying "my options are becoming limited", or "my next decision may be different".

Inevitably this results in the captain shouting at the top of his voice "he says next ones in the bin" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I suppose it may get the result you actually want, without you actually saying what the captain says - and thus paiting yourself in a corner.

If anybody then says (oppo captaoin?) "you said next one in the bin" you just say "thats what HE said. Not what _I_ said."

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

:)
but actually I think the captain completely understands that our form of words is to give ourselves wiggle room.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I envy you the fact that the captain tried to listen and tried to pass the message on.