Does Team need to have a receiver?

RugbyFish

Referees in Germany
Post Likes
I refereed at a 7s tournament on Saturday and the teams were having troubles forming the lineout.

Blue had the throw-in and put 3 players in the line-out with no receiver.
Red had 2 players in the line-out and a receiver standing 2 m from the line-out.

I told Blue they needed to have a receiver and expected them to take one of their players out of the line-out but they just moved one of their backs closer to the line-out, now standing about 8 m from the line-out and quickly threw in a ball.

I awarded a free kick to Red for not having a player in the receiver position.

After reading law 19.8 (i) again, I'm thinking I was probably wrong?

[LAWS](i) Where the receiver must stand. The receiver must stand at least 2 metres towards that player’s goal line from that player’s team-mates who are lineout players and between 5 and 15 metres from the touchline until the lineout begins.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line
[/LAWS]

It doesn't appear to follow you need to have a receiver within 8 m from the line-out (I thought it was 5)?

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
As far as I know there is no need for a receiver

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You were wrong.....learn from it....move on.

Receiver is optional.
Person in opposition to the hooker, NOT optional.

Someone in the line can drop back to become the receiver once the ball has been thrown.
OR....the thrower can run forward to become the receiver once he has thrown the ball, this is quite common in 7's.

What they can't do is have a receiver, and have him run into the line just before the ball is thrown.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
What they can't do is have a receiver, and have him run into the line just before the ball is thrown.

Unless someone in the line drops back to be the new reciever.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
You were wrong.....learn from it....move on.

Receiver is optional.
Person in opposition to the hooker, NOT optional.

Someone in the line can drop back to become the receiver once the ball has been thrown.
OR....the thrower can run forward to become the receiver once he has thrown the ball, this is quite common in 7's.

Unless someone in the line drops back to be the new reciever.

Except in America

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Except in America

...........where we have our very own interpretations of the laws, which is fine until we get an International referee who doesn't seem to have read our version and sends off two of our players :tongue:

chutneyf

Facebook Member
Post Likes
"at least 2 metres"

Sorry my logicometer has switched off. Does this mean anywhere between 2 metres away and the goal line (which could be some considerable distance away)???

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
"at least 2 metres"

Sorry my logicometer has switched off. Does this mean anywhere between 2 metres away and the goal line (which could be some considerable distance away)???
I assumed it meant anywhere between 2m and 10m from the LOT ie the general offside line for non-participating players. Ie he's got an approx 6.5m wide area to do his thing because don't forget the 2m and 10m mentioned are measured from different places.

Mind you if he's the SH for the throwing in side ie he's expecting to catch the ball, he won't be of any use 10m back from the LO, and if he's the SH for the non-throwing in side, if he doesn't want to be there he can drop back to the general offside line anyway. The problem for him then though, is that if his team do win the ball, he won't be able to run forward to take it until the LO was over.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
"at least 2 metres"

For me it is anywhere between 2m and about 8m.

Why?

Because if he is 10m back he is no longer a receiver, he is part of the back line.
Why 8m? Because I want to be able to differentiate him from the backs...........because he can come forward before the line out is over, and they can't, so I need to easily know who he is.