Done...

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Drink more milk?
My understanding is that there's nothing you can do to reverse osteoporosis. :( Maybe drinking more milk when he was younger would have been better.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
No - don't take any of that, it'll just give you gout.:p

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
MRI showed something a teeny weeny hairline fracture on the condyle and some ligament damage plus lots of evidence of old injury - which I honestly don't remember

Battery of blood tests and bone mass xrays confirm some level of oesteoporosis but nothing sinister behind it. It is just the idiopathic aka 'shit happens so stop shitting yourself you ain't gonna die yet.' variety.

Weeks of physio done, and more to come, and am now waiting on an EMG test, can't jog/run more than 10 or so strides without getting shooting stabby 'ow ow ow' pains in the vicinity of the injury site. Can now walk, without crutches or a stick, for short day-to-day distances but long distances or uneven ground and bang, on come the stabby pains. Miles better than it was, but recover has plateaued.

Bought a fixed gear bike with a 79" gear and as the injury doesn't affect cycling I've got both my CV fitness and my quads back in time for summer. If it ever comes. Have done about 2000km on bike since I got off crutches so the knee is fine for that. Though it's tricky because cycling does nothing to slow osteoporosis - cyclists are prone to it it seems.

Offered my services thricely as a newbie meet'n'greeter, watcher, 'whatever just use me', but nothing was taken up, probably no need at this time of year. Local club have asked if I'd be interested in coaching one of their youth sides but I dunno, that frustrated the heck out of me last time around.

Off to see St Wayne in the 'all French so do I really care?' H Cup Final in Paris at the end of the month. fingers crossed I'll see you all next season, consultant reckons it is 50/50 at best if there is nerve damage. He just keeps giving me this 'knees are complicated joints, lots of things can go wrong and we can't always fix them, the damage can be permanent' routine.

Enjoy your summers folks!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Greg

Best wishes and fingers crossed for next season.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's been quiet on here without your contribution, Greg. Whatever your future holds, I hope you'll stay with us.

I echo Simon's best wishes, but I have to say your Society sucks - if memory serves, you stood for the Committee, built their website and single handedly kept their midweek programme going for years: they could at least speak to you!

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's been quiet on here without your contribution, Greg. Whatever your future holds, I hope you'll stay with us.

I echo Simon's best wishes, but I have to say your Society sucks - if memory serves, you stood for the Committee, built their website and single handedly kept their midweek programme going for years: they could at least speak to you!

Not quite....:eek:

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Got the appointment for what I thought was the emg test, last week, went to the diagnostic centre, and was given another MRI :(

Apparently there was a 'signal' on the original MRI and they wanted to have another look 4 months later. They weren't sure if it was an old injury despite my iirc no old injuries routine.

Went to Paris to watch the H Cup final, did more walking about than I've done in months and my knee decided to let me down suddenly and not very gently whilst I was carrying our bags through Gare du Nord to get the train home.

Feck.