Done...

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
... most likely for many weeks.

English Colleges Knock Out Cup. Great game. Likely Lads vs Underdogs.

Underdogs getting beaten 28 - 0 but all points scored in first half, playing their hearts out desperate to get on the score sheet. 5 mins to go and a rarely likely lad foray into the 'dogs 22. Don't really know what happened exactly, tackler came from out of my line of sight, took his man down, and as I am trying to get around them his momentum takes him right into the inside of my right knee, which at the moment has my entire weight on it.

Knee joint feels like it has been ripped apart sideways and pushed back together. Screaming, I'm gonna puke style pain, and I'm on the deck, swearing a lot and punching the ground. Not very dignified but nothing I've done has hurt that much for years. Can't move my lower leg for several minutes. Match abandoned.

Ambulance called. Ice pack on the knee. Paramedics v good. Nice drop of entonox. Explained tonight is my wife's b'day and we are going out (just got in) and I cannot go to A&E. Eventually he gives up trying to persuade me when I promise I will go to my local A&E tomorrow pm. (Hugely important project critical meeting tomorrow am). Drive home was bearable just but since then and now... bending the knee is a bit ratchetty and stabby stabby painful.

We think I've done my ACL. Joint is very unstable. Ex A&E medic turned GP at dinner tonight had a look and a poke about and her diag was the same. She gave me some nice painkillers too. woozy woozy.

I'm giving it RICE until I can get an X-Ray done.

bollix. feck and bollix. feck and fecketty bollix. squared.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Greg, That's a shitter.

here's to a speedy recovery

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
On the good side, your typing is going to improve :rolleyes:

Unlucky mate, glad it wasn't me :(

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Look on the bright side. You can now take up advising for a while and learn a lot by watching how other referees do it.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Greg thats awful. You can advise the young guns. Ive been told Im advising this week; we got 7 new referees and 4 are under 20. There was an issue with my fixture that im unhappy with and I was asked just to attend a game where one of them is reffing and tell him he is doing great and talk about being a young ref.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
greg...sorry to hear it. hope it's not as bad as you think.

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
You can still run without an ACL... I reffed for a few years without one. Then they took a tendon from my hamstring and used it as a replacement. At that point I missed a whole year...

Good news is that cycling is excellent rehab for an ACL tear/replacement, to strengthen the quads. If they take a hamstring tendon, remember to rehab the hammy as well (clipless pedals help but be careful). I am learning this the hard way...

Injuries are crap. I wish you a good and speedy recovery.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good news is that cycling is excellent rehab for an ACL tear/replacement, to strengthen the quads.

:wink: Better be.

I'm down to do a 200km ride at the end of March with a sponsorship target of £1000 for a local hospice.

EDIT: Maybe the whole thing is a ploy to elicit sympathy sponsorship from you lot? I wish. See http://www.justgiving.com/GregCollinsFNRttC

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Tough luck, Greg.

Positioning....;)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
:wink: Better be.

I'm down to do a 200km ride at the end of March with a sponsorship target of £1000 for a local hospice.
Young Charlie Simpson raised £130,000 cycling just 8k - i.e. £16,250 per Km. Yours aims at £5 per Km. Why not just subcontract it to Charlie?

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Tough luck, Greg.

Positioning....;)

Twas my second thought, after blowing the whistle and stopping play.

Plea of mitigation: The attacking player choose the wrong option and went blindside :nono:

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Young Charlie Simpson raised £130,000 cycling just 8k - i.e. £16,250 per Km. Yours aims at £5 per Km. Why not just subcontract it to Charlie?

Great kid, great parents, great idea. :clap:

He's had cash from me.

I don't hold with child labour and I don't think his legs are up to the distance.:D

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I simply don't get sponsored activities, if I care about an issue then why would I only donate if someone cycles / walks / runs / bungee jumps?

Why would I not simply donate - sure I may need to be asked, but why would you cycling loads encourage me?

I know I sound like Victor Meldrew (a figure with whom I do seem to be developing a growing sympathy as the years roll on), but why do pleas to help a charity always involve someone doing something they enjoy?

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't pretend to understand the sociology/psychology of it, and I've been a professional charidee fundraiser in the past, all I do know is is works.

with most people anyway.:wink:

As for Meldrew empathy. you and me both.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I simply don't get sponsored activities, if I care about an issue then why would I only donate if someone cycles / walks / runs / bungee jumps?

Why would I not simply donate - sure I may need to be asked, but why would you cycling loads encourage me?

I know I sound like Victor Meldrew (a figure with whom I do seem to be developing a growing sympathy as the years roll on), but why do pleas to help a charity always involve someone doing something they enjoy?

Because people dont ;) Cant be arsed, to tight etc etc.

Well its not all about enjoyment, its about pushing yourself physically and beyond your comfort zone ;)

Did you think the likes of Phil Packer enjoyed walking the london marathon?? No probably not, but he did it.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Sorry to hear the news Greg.

Hopefully it will not be as serious, or long recovery, as first thought.

Get out and about and watch your peer group and the next two levels up. Watch, listen and learn.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Newton's Third Law of Motion.
To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Or to put it into context: For you to give money, someone must suffer. :biggrin:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

because someone coming to me asking for money is likely to be told to eff off. however if someone comes to me and says that they are doing, for example, the marathon des sables (which a former colleague did a couple of years ago) it's a whole bunch harder to tell them to poke it. i dare say many people are the same.

i reckon it comes down to peer pressure and borderline demanding money with menaces.

having said that, the only times i have told people that i'm not donating is when it's in effect been forced upon me. dress down days in the office immediately spring to mind. i'm not paying 2 quid for the opportunity to wear jeans in the office, especially when some bleeding heart comes to my desk and rattles a tin at me (in hindsight, maybe doing this on the 3rd day in a new job wasn't the most sensible thing to do).

(before anyone asks, i've then donated the same sum to a charity of my choosing. it's not the giving i object to, it's the being forced into it).

also, i try my absolute hardest not to give any money to religious charities. this proves to be interesting with my family, who are avid supporters of a religious school in the Jo'burg slums and who don't understand why i choose to support things like the wooden spoon instead (for who i got rid of the fluffy ginger beard - damn i miss the warmth and the not shaving).

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good news; no obvious fracture

Bad news; clearly something amiss with MCL and possibly ACL too but WAY to painful to find out what via manipulation.

In knee immobilising split with a fracture clinic appointment for Monday. RICE is the order of the day.

God bless the NHS.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Unlucky mate it can happen to the best.
keep involved offer to watch others informally and pass comments to yor advisors.
That's what I've been doing for 2 1/2 months, back mid feb.