Don't touch the referee

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm assuming we usually take a strong stance on any contact with us, and it would nearly always be a RC. In the instance below though, I'm curious to know what you all would have done.

The 11 taps my arm to show me that he believed the ball was deliberately knocked out by the tackler. I just warn him not to touch me and move on with the game. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJwrS0gwDKI&feature=youtu.be

Please do not share the link.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The clip seems to indicate show typically spikey young guys in action (post event shoving/verbals etc), and RL does seem to have different tolerances on many things.

RC as the strongest deterrent to everyone that we are sacrosanct to physical dissent.

Although its relatively minor contact , he unnecessarily comes to you to confront, this is the thin end of the wedge and if ignored eventually we eventually end up with assaults. RC it is. Zero tolerance.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... The 11 taps my arm to show me that he believed the ball was deliberately knocked out by the tackler. I just warn him not to touch me and move on with the game. Thoughts?
... RC as the strongest deterrent to everyone that we are sacrosanct to physical dissent. Although its relatively minor contact , he unnecessarily comes to you to confront, this is the thin end of the wedge and if ignored eventually we eventually end up with assaults. RC it is. Zero tolerance.
There is touching and there is touching surely.

If I'm honest, I think you would come across a bit "precious" if you :norc: a player for that. Personally I think I would have done as you did; ie have a word, but no need to go "nuclear" over something so small.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't really have a problem with the initial contact as it didn't seem confrontational. Fair enough though to ask him not to touch you as a warning.
But I have a real problem with him following you as you step back and then gets in your face. (I think you even tell him to get out of your face). I'd be thinking of binning him for that bit, as it showed the grab on the shoulder was perhaps more confrontational than initially you thought.

Were you concerned when you stepped back and when he followed? If you were then I think you have your answer regarding intimidation. Even in RL that can't be accepted?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think I agree with Taff and Menace so far that it was probably only deserving of a talking to, but any contact with the referee is the thin edge of the wedge.

As for him following me, I think he was just a bit frustrated (he was the captain and there had been a few close calls go against his team), and I was happy enough that he moved back when I asked him to. I had a word to him at the next stoppage in play that if he kept up the attitude, he'd be taking a seat.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'm going to play Devils advocate. I referreed a completely deaf tight head prop on the weekend. He was tactile with me to get my attention and I had to touch him so he knew I was talking to him.

Edit:stupid fracking ios8

Last edited:

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm going to play Devils advocate. I referreed a completely dead right head prop on the weekend. He was tactile with me to get my attention and I had to touch him so he knew I was talking to him

If he was dead I'm not sure touching him would have been a great help.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
He can't have been completely dead --- he must have been a zombie prop.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Uuurrrrrrrrrrrggghhhhhhhhh ios8

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I'm going to play Devils advocate. I referreed a completely deaf tight head prop on the weekend. He was tactile with me to get my attention and I had to touch him so he knew I was talking to him.

Edit:stupid fracking ios8
That's not DA, that is a completely different context, which arguably 'requires' contact

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I think I agree with Taff and Menace so far that it was probably only deserving of a talking to, but any contact with the referee is the thin edge of the wedge.

You need to decide which position to support.

Discouraging the The thin end from getting a foothold, means you are not signing up to 'accepting the fat end' consequences. If you dont want the latter dont cultivate the former.

Too many ' fat end' bemoaners don't recognise the contribution of their 'thin end' excusing in this development process.

The next time you are grabbed harder or assaulted remember this post, & imagine the influences that the perpetrator could draw on.

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If that happened to me I may accept the first touch as youthful frustration but once you have said don't touch me minimum yellow card and penalty and a stern talking to on his return prior to the game starting.