[Law] Double move versus legal move to score a try.

fzxjkg

Referees in America
Post Likes
Just looking for some clarity on scoring a try when initially tackled short of try line. My understanding is that if the player immediately, and as part of a continuous move can reach out and place the ball over the line a try is awarded. If the person is tackled, then lunges forward with a second motion to attempt to score the try I have been told to not award it. The difference seeming to be the body movement as a second move along with the reach versus law 15.5(g) which only addresses reaching forward (no additional body movement forward).

It seems a nit, but it has come up several times in the past.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Law 15.5 tells us this:

[LAWS]15.5 The tackled player
(a) A tackled player must not lie on, over, or near the ball to prevent opponents from gaining possession of it, and must try to make the ball available immediately so that play can continue.
Sanction: Penalty kick
(b) A tackled player must immediately pass the ball or release it. That player must also get up or move away from it at once.
(c) A tackled player may release the ball by putting it on the ground in any direction, provided this is done immediately.
(d) A tackled player may release the ball by pushing it along the ground in any direction except forward, provided this is done immediately.
(e) If opposition players who are on their feet attempt to play the ball, the tackled player must release the ball.
Sanction: Penalty kick[/LAWS]

Note in particular 15.5(c). If the tackled player releases the ball by putting it on or over the goal line immediately then a try is scored. This is the "reaching out" scenario. Any other action by the tackled player (wriggling, lunging, rolling, shuffling, etc) is illegal.

fzxjkg

Referees in America
Post Likes
Thank you, that is exactly what I thought.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Thank you, that is exactly what I thought.
Except the laws don't mention "continuous movement" for tackled near the goal-line

from 22.4
[LAWS]
(d) Momentum try. If an attacking player with the ball is tackled short of the goal line but the player’s momentum carries the player in a continuous movement along the ground into the opponents’ in-goal, and the player is first to ground the ball, a try is scored.
(e) Tackled near the goal line. If a player is tackled near to the opponents’ goal line so that this player can immediately reach out and ground the ball on or over the goal line, a try is scored.[/LAWS]

so the grounding action has to be "immediately" but not necessarily "in a continuous movement", is my understanding.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Be on the spot.
Decide if the player acted immediately.
Make a confident decision.

That, at least, is my criteria