Double movement

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Argument on another site had me looking at the law on "double movement".

In 2017 the law was fairly detailed:
[Laws]22.1
There are two ways a player can ground the ball:
(a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.
(b) Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

(e) Tackled near the goal line. If a player is tackled near to the opponents’ goal line so that this player can immediately reach out and ground the ball on or over the goal line, a try is scored.[/Laws]

The 2019 version is a little odd
[LAWS]21.8 A tackled player near their own goal line may reach out and ground the ball in in-goal to make a touch down, provided it is done immediately.[/LAWS]
What about "near the opponents' goal line"?!

There is a possible inference:
[LAWS]21.11 If a tackled player is in the act of reaching out to ground the ball for a try or touch down, players may pull the ball from the player’s possession but must not kick or attempt to kick the ball. [/LAWS]
That does not make sense unless the attacking player is allowed to reach out to score a try.

There is still no definition of "reach out". My understanding is that a player may roll sideways if the ball is trapped beneath his body and then reach out, but may not deliberately move his body closer to the goal-line.

The single movement of driving your body forward with the ball under you is clearly illegal.
The double movement of moving your body sideways and then reaching out is allowed.

The phrase "double movement" should be replaced by "illegal movement".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
OB you need 8.2 as well

[LAWS].
A try is scored when an attacking player:

Is first to ground the ball in the opponents’ in-goal, against the opponents’ goal post or its surrounding padding.

Is first to ground the ball when a scrum, ruck or maul reaches the goal line.

With the ball is tackled short of the goal line and the player’s momentum carries them in a continuous movement along the ground into the opponents’ in-goal, and the player is first to ground the ball.

Is tackled near to the opponents’ goal line and the player immediately reaches out and grounds the ball.
Who is in touch or touch-in-goal, grounds the ball in the opponents’ in-goal provided the player is not holding the ball.
[/LAWS]

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
OB you need 8.2 as well

[LAWS].
A try is scored when an attacking player:

Is first to ground the ball in the opponents’ in-goal, against the opponents’ goal post or its surrounding padding.

Is first to ground the ball when a scrum, ruck or maul reaches the goal line.

With the ball is tackled short of the goal line and the player’s momentum carries them in a continuous movement along the ground into the opponents’ in-goal, and the player is first to ground the ball.

Is tackled near to the opponents’ goal line and the player immediately reaches out and grounds the ball.
Who is in touch or touch-in-goal, grounds the ball in the opponents’ in-goal provided the player is not holding the ball.
[/LAWS]
Ah, yes, of course. Thanks.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's a shame that in the new Law Book , when they cover the same topic in two different Laws, they didn't include a crossref

(did you see what I did there ?)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For me a player who comes up short may reach out with his arm (or arms) to ground the ball on the line.
What I wont allow is him to propel his body nearer to the line, once it has come to a stop, using hands, elbows, knees, etc to get him near enough to score.

I find this gets buy in from the players and is generally how other referees manage it.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me a player who comes up short may reach out with his arm (or arms) to ground the ball on the line.
What I wont allow is him to propel his body nearer to the line, once it has come to a stop, using hands, elbows, knees, etc to get him near enough to score.

I find this gets buy in from the players and is generally how other referees manage it.

TBH, I didn't think there was really any contention here until Saturday when pundits were suggesting it was only a double movement if you use your knees or elbows!

I've always thought it's a know it when you see it situation and I can't remember having any complaints about any such decisions.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The grey area seems to be when the ball carrier hits the ground short but the force/momentum of his teammates push him the last 50cm ...