Driving ruck too far

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
In last nights game Saracens were penalised for driving the ruck too far. My guess is that once they have stepped passed the ball, the ruck is over, so, its now open play and the players in the ex-ruck are obstructing the defending team from playing the ball or tackling the ball carrier.

Over to the experts. Thanks Harry

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
In last nights game Saracens were penalised for driving the ruck too far. My guess is that once they have stepped passed the ball, the ruck is over, so, its now open play and the players in the ex-ruck are obstructing the defending team from playing the ball or tackling the ball carrier.

Over to the experts. Thanks Harry
Hi Harry, do you know which minute of the game this occurred?

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Hi Harry, do you know which minute of the game this occurred?
No sorry. I didn't see the match but I was asked by somebody who did see it, and said it was more than once.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
At about 5.12-15 on the video clock. No game clock on video, but obviously early in game. I think Luke Pearce was making the point thst there is a limit to how far you can continue to drive a player back past the ruck before it becomes playing a player without the ball and preventing them getting back into the game. In this case Maro Itoje ended up on his back about 4/5M past the ruck. He’d more than been cleared from the ruck.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I think it was essentially turning into a case of tackling a man without the ball.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It was pingd in the Tigers game yesterday as well.

shep

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How far does the offside line follow a player being driven back out of a ruck?

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd say it does not follow the player. The offside line remains at the back (hindmost foot) of the ruck .

shep

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd say it does not follow the player. The offside line remains at the back (hindmost foot) of the ruck .
Sure, but if you are driven back out of the ruck at some point you are in the ruck, and your foot is the back foot.

When does your foot stop being relevant to the ruck?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sure, but if you are driven back out of the ruck at some point you are in the ruck, and your foot is the back foot.

When does your foot stop being relevant to the ruck?

When your no longer bound in, so no longer part of the ruck.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and that query only "works" if you are the rear player in the ruck. if there is anybody behind you bound to you then its their back feet that are the offside line.. obvs etc, but to be pedantically clear :)

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
When you are no longer involved in binding over the ball. You, and your driver, may have become separate to the remaining ruck (if one still exists).

shep

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
When you are no longer involved in binding over the ball. You, and your driver, may have become separate to the remaining ruck (if one still exists).
Thanks all for the repsponses.

Does that mean players on the floor don't set an offside line?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
from Law book --- this is a TWOL, but I assume it would be the same for a ruck

tackle-offside.jpg

number11

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Law 15.4 Each team has an offside line that runs parallel to the goal line through the hindmost point of any ruck participant. If that point is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for that team is the goal line.
So, I guess the ball carrier is ok, but anyone else there should be rolling away?