Drop goal after FK taken as scrum

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
I'd be happy with gain in ground

. . . . for both, Dickie, sanctioned scrum and FK scrum option? Sort of contradicts Ian's logic doesn't it?:hap:

And the 'bird' comment?

Last edited:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
. . . . comparing it with a FK scrum option, Simon, but recognise the point you're trying to make.:hap:

Like to know who the black faced character is. I'm an avid fan of comics old Americans, we used to do 'swaps' back in '45, Superman/Boy/Woman, Captain 'Shazam' Marvel etc. If I only kept them along with my first years' collection of Eagle. Am still a big fan of Crumb, saw his art Exhibition in London a few years back. . . suberb draughtsman as well as a wit.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Like to know who the black faced character is. I'm an avid fan of comics old Americans, we used to do 'swaps' back in '45, Superman/Boy/Woman, Captain 'Shazam' Marvel etc. If I only kept them along with my first years' collection of Eagle. Am still a big fan of Crumb, saw his art Exhibition in London a few years back. . . suberb draughtsman as well as a wit.

He's a character called Rank Bajin. He was created by a guy called Bud Neill as part of the Lobey Dosser story. The Wee Man ran in the Evening Times in Glasgow in about 1949. There's a wonderful statue of him in Woodland Street:

He gave rise to the Weegie rejoinder of "if you're sae smert, whit's the name of Lobey Dosser's horse?"
http://netsavvy.co.uk/lobey/author.htm

The strips are a masterclass. There are a couple of collections available in paperback.

I have my Dad's collection of the original Eagle Annuals (1 to 9, I think) as well as Jeff Arnold books.
[/dorkmode]

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
. . . . comparing it with a FK scrum option, Simon, but recognise the point you're trying to make.:hap:

A Scrummed free kick has no affect on any other type of kick other than the dropped goal. It's game as per normal.

In your scenario, blue took it into the red 22, so no problem with gain in ground.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
He's a character called Rank Bajin. He was created by a guy called Bud Neill as part of the Lobey Dosser story. The Wee Man ran in the Evening Times in Glasgow in about 1949. There's a wonderful statue of him in Woodland Street:

He gave rise to the Weegie rejoinder of "if you're sae smert, whit's the name of Lobey Dosser's horse?"
http://netsavvy.co.uk/lobey/author.htm

The strips are a masterclass. There are a couple of collections available in paperback.

I have my Dad's collection of the original Eagle Annuals (1 to 9, I think) as well as Jeff Arnold books.
[/dorkmode]
Do you have an MBA? :wow:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
No. I worked hard to get here.

So how much of this character is you, Simon?:Nerv:

Rank Bajin is Calton Creek’s resident villain. He displays all the expected characteristics of a comic ‘badie’ being dastardly, murderous and megalomaniacal often at the same time. He does however, have a few redeeming features: he has a great command of the English language, can be witty and charming and is a loving father. He never of course, lets these good traits get in the way of his villainy.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
We've done this one before http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?12057-Drop-goal-after-FK-taken-as-scrum

I note there's now a slight change in tune:hap:

MODS please hide this post from our Cornish Pirate:Nerv:

By the way the general opinion is that your NL ref made a cock up, i trust the game wasn't won by 3 points:cool:

I agree with Davet both in the substance of his view and that it is not worth pursuing further.

Dave Clark was just stirring.

Not for me - the opponents must play the ball after the scrum is completed. Playing it in the scrum doesn't count.
Same as playing the ball after the kick.

What happens if the ball's not put in straight into an uncontested scrum?

Do you wait for the opposition to channel it back across the tunnel so's not to waste too much time?

I ask because, should the answer be yes, it's a perfect opportunity for the FK scrum option. Then the law would allow the the ensuing DK.

But that's where the law 'as she is writ' differs from refs' interpretation 'as she is rote'. :biggrin: :clap:

Before you all go, please confirm for me and any rookie refs listening:

If the ball is taken against the head and squirts out the back of the opponent's FK scrum option before their SH or 8 can touch it and a DK is put over, does that kick register 3pts?:Nerv:

. . . . and so on to the 22 FK scrum and is the direct kick to touch valid?:hap: