Drop goal after tap PK

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hi guys,

I've looked for this but can't find it anywhere?

Reffin at a 7's tournament at the weekend, side awarded a PK, they tap and pass it into midfield where another player drops a goal, ref disallows it and gives defending side options (22 or scrum where it was "kicked") is this right :chin:

I know you can't take a DG from a FK under 21.6 (b), but can't seem to find the above being an issue :shrug:

When I asked the ref he said that it was the case from any "set phase of play" and that it was brought in after the world cup some year ago when Eng were taken apart SA when Danny De Beer kicked 25 DG's (or something like that)?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Jannie de Beer dropped 5 DG's in 1999 RWC against England. I can't recall the no DG after FK coming in for that but it may have done.

In the opening post I'd allow it as they could have just DG'ed the PK so apart from the perhaps a better angle what's the difference?

Unless of course this is another thing that's passed me by.

OB.. is the man for when stuff arrived in the LotG. We will waited with breath well and truly baited.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
OK so I might have been 20 out, but I think he's getting confused over the FK thing, where of course you can opt for a scrum or LO (if that's where the offence was) and then 21.6 (b) coming in. Hey but I wasn't going to argue with him, after all he was a group ref :wink:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The restrictions in 21.6 first appeared in the 2000 re-write.

IIRC none of Jannie de Beer's drop goals were from free kicks?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

so no issue with tap PK and then DG?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
... presumably because a goal could be scored direct form a PK, so its nonsensical to then outlaw a tap and DG.

didds

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
after all he was a group ref :wink: [who] said that it was the case from any "set phase of play" and that it was brought in after the world cup some year ago when Eng were taken apart SA when Danny De Beer kicked 25 DG's (or something like that)?

Who no doubt hasn't had to read the Lawbook since ... but maybe he has now if you were querulous enough?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Thanks for that OB (our font of all knowledge)

Oh by the way they were "your boys" :wink: but apparently they're Fed refs :biggrin:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
a life lesson for us all: bullshit baffles brains

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Having identified the referee from my society, I was able to ask him about it at this evening's meeting.

The cruciai point causing confusion was that the team opted to take the penalty as a scrum. This triggered the memory of 21.6 (b) and led to what the referee agreed was probably an error.

I did confirm that the award was a PK, not a FK.