[Line out] dropping the jumper on top of a maul

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
From the weekend... details are hazy now so maybe someone can recall?

There was a lineout where the throw was taken low to a standing #2 (might have been to Itoje?). the fdefending pod had gone up and it looked like the lifters abandoned the jumper to defnd the driving maul - the maul passed under the jumper still in the air who unceroniously fell over the maul and rolled off.

So is that

* dropping your own player (ISTR thats a PK?)
* mauling team making contactb wi8th a player in the air
* jumping player dangerous play fopr landing on top of the maul - may even have been offisde at that juncture?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
From the weekend... details are hazy now so maybe someone can recall?

There was a lineout where the throw was taken low to a standing #2 (might have been to Itoje?). the fdefending pod had gone up and it looked like the lifters abandoned the jumper to defnd the driving maul - the maul passed under the jumper still in the air who unceroniously fell over the maul and rolled off.

So is that

* dropping your own player (ISTR thats a PK?)
* mauling team making contactb wi8th a player in the air
* jumping player dangerous play fopr landing on top of the maul - may even have been offisde at that juncture?

I thought not returning your own player to ground safely was a FK but I may be wrong. I might look it up later.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
i thought not returning your own player to ground safely was a fk but i may be wrong. I might look it up later.

18.29.C

So in the match of fuzzy memory, it would have been FK ADV?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There is an offence of "throwing across the line" which essentially is offside and a Penalty Kick.
It's one we were advised abut last season that premiership referees would be using more often.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
didnt think to look for a advantage !

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
in that particular moment I think LP was right to allow play on,.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It was Eng/Ire, I think Beirne was "launched" over the top of Itoje; this was in part due to England getting to ground and driving while he was still at the peak of the jump, though.

At the time I thought FK advantage for not returning the player to the ground, then FK advantage or PT for collapsing the maul over the line. As a grassroots ref I may have stopped the match to check the player was OK, depending on my view of the situation - I couldn't see clearly but he looked to come down hard.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I As a grassroots ref I may have stopped the match to check the player was OK, depending on my view of the situation - I couldn't see clearly but he looked to come down hard.

That wouldn't be a good call.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
There were a number of short, to the front lines out at the weekend that clearly were thrown straight at the standing first receiver but totally ignored by the ARs