[Ruck] Dummy

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I know that a SH can't do anything to make to opposition thing the ball has left the ruck. So an example would be to pretend to pass the ball from the base of the ruck.

What if he picks the ball up, is he allowed to do a dummy pass? My understanding is as soon as he picks it up the ball is out of the ruck and defenders can tackle him. so a dummy pass would be allowed?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yup, dummying and misdirection in open play are allowed, but not at the ruck / maul or scrum, once he's picked it up we're in open play so crack on

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
the point about the dummy at the base is to not provide easy gotcha penalties, as the dummy pass from the ruck draws defenders forwards

once the ball is picked up at the base then the ruck is over and offside lines disappear. So a dummy there cannot draw a PK.

didds

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Thanks gents, that what I thought. It happened in a game I was playing in. TBH I didn't think much of it at the time. But remember thinking after the game that I wasn't so sure after the fact. I meant to put it on previously but it slipped my mind. Thanks again.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Once of my bugbears I'm afraid. Frequently seen at elite level is the 9 , at the back of a ruck, dipping shoulders or placing his hands on the ball (not picking it up) and making a little dip of the shoulders (as though he's picking it up). Rarely spotted but , for me, it is definitely deliberate and the intention is to "make the opposition think the ball is out".
I can find some video examples and post back of what I means as its hard to describe in writing alone.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You also sometimes get the 'shoulder twitch' as they're lined up to pass open but, twitch and twist and pass blind, can be subtle and hence not C&O but seen it enough to be sure it's not an accident.

Place to really stamp it out is Junior games, especially as a lot of coaches don't realise it's forbidden to the poor kids suffer :-(