[Law] Emergency stop in last play

frenchie851

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'm restarting. No way am I ending the game on a stoppage like that.

It happened in a Super Rugby game a few years ago. I think it was Angus Gardiner. He said quite brazenly that he wasn't ending the game like that. I agree with him.

I agree with this post. I probably sound like a broken record because I say this quite often but we seem to focus solely on the law. Do we not have duty to understand law and why it is in place and also what it wasn't trying to cover when written.

Also if Angus Gardner saw fit to re-start the game due to the genuine feeling of "is this fair, is this the what the law intended"..... if one of the best refs in the world chose to restart the game can we not take lead from him? As we deal in laws it is also quite reasonable to interpret a law based on a precedent that has been set. I think that it is safe to say a precedent has been set?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I agree with this post. I probably sound like a broken record because I say this quite often but we seem to focus solely on the law. Do we not have duty to understand law and why it is in place and also what it wasn't trying to cover when written.

You're starting to understand how this forum works :sarc:

SELL.jpg

collybs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Law 5.10 gives the referee power to suspend the game at any time for safety reasons. Does this not apply if an serious injury occurs in added on time?

5.10 The referee has the power to end or suspend the match at any time if the referee believes that it would be unsafe to continue.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
World cup final .
45 points all
England v australia

Australia attacking on england 22 .
England Player down from previous ruck , 1st aider on pitch .
Looks like he in serious pain.

Australia go through hands , see a gap , but it is where england player on floor .
And nigel owens blows whistle to stop game ( last play , 81 mins on clock )
And says , sorry lads have to stop , because it too dangerous to play around player on floor .

Oh & buy the way , GAME IS OVER
Lets all go home .

If it's all tied up in a World Cup final, no one is going home! Extra time to come.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, I'm the sole judge of time out there.

IE you would pretend that time hadn't expired, and restart

I am not a fan of keeping the time secret, and I don't think refs should pretend.

And even so, still there will be occasions when you have been forced to reveal to players that time is up .. and then there is an injury