Enforcement of current law - refereeing at the breakdown March 2020

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Whilst the conclusion is welcomed, am I reading this right? World Rugby fomed a working group of 12 members and the conclusion was.... apply the laws of the game. I imagine they were up all night with that one!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
mmm.at least they've used some good video clips.
Do we honestly believe the top flight are going to enforce these like the do with not straight at lineouts and scrums!!

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It was an interesting conclusion, given that in the past the first option has been to tinker with the Laws.

Perhaps there is some realisation that the vast majority of the players are refereed (by and large) to the LotG as they stand and not to some pact drawn up between Sky/Coaches/Other TV Channel etc

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I

Perhaps there is some realisation that the vast majority of the players are refereed (by and large) to the LotG as they stand and not to some pact drawn up between Sky/Coaches/Other TV Channel etc

Hallelujah. Praise the Lord!

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
mmm.at least they've used some good video clips.
Do we honestly believe the top flight are going to enforce these like the do with not straight at lineouts and scrums!!
Scrums I grant you, but I have seen several sanctioned at lineouts at top levels - perhaps not as strictly as I expect at grass roots, but not a rara avis either.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Not convinced that the reward of the jackle is clear - I though the reward was if he beat the clearout and kept hold of the ball?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't understand this:

[LAWS]First arriving player – the jackler – will be rewarded, and the concept of the jackler “surviving the clear out” by opposition players will be removed. The jackler must be in a strong position to try and lift, with hands on the ball.[/LAWS]

Doesn't the red bit mean the same as the blue bit?

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I agree. It isn't well explained. Does it mean that if the jackler doesn't have the ball up and clearly in possession before the arriving players get there he gets pinged for handling in a ruck?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't understand this:

[LAWS]First arriving player – the jackler – will be rewarded, and the concept of the jackler “surviving the clear out” by opposition players will be removed. The jackler must be in a strong position to try and lift, with hands on the ball.[/LAWS]

Doesn't the red bit mean the same as the blue bit?

I don't understand that either WTF does it mean?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
THis bit [LAWS]Other arriving players (Law 15): 5 – An arriving player must be on their feet and join from behind their offside line. 6 – A player may join alongside but not in front of the hindmost player. 10 – Possession may be won either by rucking or by pushing the opposing team off the ball[/LAWS]

Is very loosely applied curently. WE (WRU) are told that the serior guy have a much wider gate directive from their rulers. The gate needs t obe narrowed not "curved".

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The law I’d like to see enforced is players was endeavour to stay on their feet. No collapsing rucks, crocodile roles etc. Focus on that and rucks will be cleaner and a true contest for the ball.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well - stuff like crocoile rolls only exist bevause players have been allowed to fliop everywhere and seal off . IF players HAD to basically saty on their feet and push (planes taking off) then crodile rols etc may well just disappear

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I think it means that just because they get pushed off the ball, they will win a penalty if they were in a good position lifting the ball (because if the lose the ball by "not surviving the contact" then it must mean someone was holding on)

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Unless they are pulling the ball into the tackled player's body to win a PL for not releasing. For example near their own goal-line so a nice relieving PK is the result.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Unless they are pulling the ball into the tackled player's body to win a PL for not releasing. For example near their own goal-line so a nice relieving PK is the result.
That makes it important to try to get into a position where you can see if the tackled player has released the ball.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That makes it important to try to get into a position where you can see if the tackled player has released the ball.

Of course, I was just pointing out Treadmore's point was possibly a little naive.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Up until now we had a convenient and accurate (IMO) telltale to determine if the jackler was (a) in a strong position, and (b) had a solid grasp of the ball. That telltale was the "did he survive the clean out".

By the stroke of a pen that telltale has been removed making managing the breakdown more referee-subjective & therefore error prone.

No wonder players & spectators haven't got a clue what's going on.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the jackler can have a strong grasp on the ball and not survive the clear out. If the Ball carrier also has a strong grasp for instance. I can't say surviving the clear out is proof of (b). It is a fair (in general) indication of (a)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Up until now we had a convenient and accurate (IMO) telltale to determine if the jackler was (a) in a strong position, and (b) had a solid grasp of the ball. That telltale was the "did he survive the clean out".

By the stroke of a pen that telltale has been removed making managing the breakdown more referee-subjective & therefore error prone.

No wonder players & spectators haven't got a clue what's going on.

You presuppose that (a) also means legal. I could argue the two are diametrically opposed. Bearing weight on feet and hands on ball would make it exceptionally unlikely you survive a clean out.