Eng v SA: Kholisi YC

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
You missed out the new option of a 50/22 (if in your own half)

Does that change the dynamics?

Thats a fair comment. Though of course the kick would have to bounce into touch and thus evade any defenders lined along the touchline to cover that (winger, number 8, scrumhalf is probably sufficient - if not #6 also)

which may not be quite as simple.
And may only really be viable for Fks between the 22 and half way.

That still leaves half a pitch where a FK is still pretty useless. IMO. YMMV.

didds

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
How long until we see catchers being lifted for box kicks and up and under, in the same way that we see boosting for restart kicks?

It will come and it will present problems.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thats a fair comment. Though of course the kick would have to bounce into touch and thus evade any defenders lined along the touchline to cover that (winger, number 8, scrumhalf is probably sufficient - if not #6 also)

which may not be quite as simple.
And may only really be viable for Fks between the 22 and half way.

That still leaves half a pitch where a FK is still pretty useless. IMO. YMMV.

didds

But isn't that the whole point of the 50/22?
They have to drop more men back to cover the 50/22 so leaving less in the defensive line and a numerical advantage if the attackers tap and go?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
But isn't that the whole point of the 50/22?
They have to drop more men back to cover the 50/22 so leaving less in the defensive line and a numerical advantage if the attackers tap and go?

thats the theory.

This is a FK which will be clearlky being kicked to touch. What defensive line do you need? especially with the eg 8,9 involved who wont typically be in a set line. True the kicking team could be dummying that line kick.

lets see how often it happens - cos TBH if it was that simple/easy Id wager we'd already see it being done.

But I accept its an option, and probaby no worse than a garryowen being fair

So what with a FK between the halfway and _maybe_ a few metres out? On the 10m line in the oppo half say?

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just watching the game again and was reminded of something that puzzled me in the lead up to the SA try.

A clean line out catch and maul for SA, the maul goes to ground but England 4 is told to leave it by the ref? SA then go wide left for the try.

Why has he instructed Itoje to leave it when he can legally hold on and should've forced the turnover scrum?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I didn't see it clearly. I *think* when the maul went down white 4 didn't have any challenge on the ball, then he went onto it as the ball became available. If he was on the ball when the maul went down, he'd have been OK.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
did the ref call "tackle" ?
Nope.

Called: "Maul", "Over" as his arms came down to signify end of line out, "No change", "no change", "One stop", "No, no, never changed", maul goes towards White goal-line and goes to ground, ball at the top of the maul and Green 6/20 and White 4 compete. "Leave it now 4, leave, give it up" Green 20 takes it drives left and advantage is given against White 10. Advantage taken, white too narrow, Green score on the overlap.

Treadmore

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I didn't see it clearly. I *think* when the maul went down white 4 didn't have any challenge on the ball, then he went onto it as the ball became available. If he was on the ball when the maul went down, he'd have been OK.
I don't understand that. Maybe this is too specific a case but when the many in maul fell to ground, the ball did not go to ground. Itoje and SA#20 remained on feet and both were trying to get the ball from somewhere within the pile. Only Itoje was asked to stop. I have no idea why.