England v Australia - TMO call

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
there was an incident in this game that was interesting learning for me on the role of the TMO.

Anyway, in the 58th minute White #6 is penalised for not releasing the ball and it was a gift 3 points to Gold (aka Yellow for Phil E's benefit :))

The TMO steps in and identifies a preceding high tackle by Gold #20 and the penalty is rightly reversed.

However, based on the TMO's own words, he would not have called what was a non-card penalty, except that it was a penalty reversal.

I don't have a problem with it and it made perfect sense. I just wish there was a document that clearly explains what the TMO can and can't do ... or maybe it's just left to the MO's personal judgement.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There is a protocol for the TMO, and the Premiership Rugby one used to be on their website (hidden away and takes some finding).
I'm assuming the Autumn Internationals have their own TMO protocol document somewhere?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I was mildly surprised when it happened, but I'm more surprised that the TMO's job is only to highlight missed foul play that deserves a card! Perhaps they're scaling it back to lessen the amount of intervention?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
but I'm more surprised that the TMO's job is only to highlight missed foul play that deserves a card!

I expect you'll find that the same happens with ARs. Don't hang your flag unless its card worthy

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I expect you'll find that the same happens with ARs. Don't hang your flag unless its card worthy

I was told the opposite two days ago by an evaluator. Regional final (D4 men, the lowest club division in the region), black player goes for a low tackle, loses his footing, and ends up "chop blocking" the BC. Not malicious, so would have been a PK only. I make eye contact with the ref and indicate no wrap in the tackle, but either he doesn't hear me (it was a very windy day) or disagreed, and play continued.

In the bar, evaluator asked what I saw and why I didn't stick the flag out. I explained that I didn't stick the flag out since it wasn't dangerous/foul play.

He says that even if it wasn't card worthy, the flag should have gone out anyway.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You stick your flag in to signal Foul Play, so a Law 9 offence.
However the referee may tell you that he only wants to see a flag in the event of a card worthy event.

[LAWS]Law 6
21. The referee has control over the assistant referees or touch judges. The referee may tell them what their duties are and may overrule their decisions...
27 b. An assistant referee signals that foul play or misconduct has been seen by holding the flag horizontally and pointing infield at right angles to the touchline.[/LAWS]

NB: Misconduct is a Law 9 offence so I'm not sure why they say Foul Play or Misconduct?