England v Italy Vinipola Try?

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought the grounding was OK, but before that wasn't the ball on the Italian player who was on the ground and in contact with the touch in goal line. Therefore, ball out of play. No try?

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
I thought the grounding was OK, but before that wasn't the ball on the Italian player who was on the ground and in contact with the touch in goal line. Therefore, ball out of play. No try?
agree grounding was OK but was he holding the ball ? No try for me.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes

I'm not even sure about the grounding... :chin:

As for the touch-in-goal, it's a lot more complicated that it looks like (assuming grounding is ok):
1. Either it's considered that only White is in possession of the ball and then you can apply this part of the definition
[LAWS]The ball is in touch when a player is carrying it and the ball carrier (or the ball) touches the touchline or the ground beyond the touchline.[/LAWS]
Note that there is no mention of the ball touching something beyond the touchline. So the all that the Blue player does, is preventing the ball to touch the ground beyond the touch line... So the ball isn't in touch --> Try

2. Or you consider that both players are in possession then:
- Blue is in touh-in-goal --> 22 drop out or scrum 5?
Who is getting the ball in in-goal?????

Extrapolation
You can't use the "2 players in possession" line. Why? would you say...
Imagine the same scene between the post.
Try or 22-drop-out or scrum 5?
Because:
- who's getting the ball in in-goal?
- who's grounding it?

Keep it simple:
White in possession, try!

My 2 cents,
Pierre.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Law 22: In-Goal[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]22.15 Doubt about grounding[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]If there is doubt about which team first grounded the ball in the in-goal, play is re-started by a 5-metre scrum, in line with the place where the ball was grounded. The attacking team throws in the ball.

From my vantage point, Significant doubt existed.

A fortunate decision.

Q? In all simultaneous cases, should the decision 'always' favour the BC team? ( ie...the priority thinking shown in T &TP both being required to release immediately)[/FONT]

Last edited:

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I have to say, watching the match I said that I couldnt understand the decision, I had enough doubts including player reaction. I thought it was touch as it was on the Italian player who was in touch.

Failing that the best I could see was the penalty advantage to England (I would have otherwise been scrum 5 england).

Ben