England vs Australia - Last Try

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Didn't want to hijack Dickie E's other thread.

The last England try in the 80th minute. Intercept and white (no number) is running down the wing.

White 16 is offside when the intercept is made, but he accelerates and runs a support line towards the Gold line before being overtaken by the interceptor and then receiving the pass.

Materiality is a question here. He didn't really impede any Gold players, but he moved forwards (at full prop sprint speed) while in an offside position and arguably this gave him a benefit in scoring the try.

Its an event which to me as a referee looks wrong, but as a fan I'm not so worried given they were going to lose anyway!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
There was no ruck or tackle offside lines created therefore open play, so you can run where you want.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Didn't want to hijack Dickie E's other thread.

The last England try in the 80th minute. Intercept and white (no number) is running down the wing.

White 16 is offside when the intercept is made, but he accelerates and runs a support line towards the Gold line before being overtaken by the interceptor and then receiving the pass.

Materiality is a question here. He didn't really impede any Gold players, but he moved forwards (at full prop sprint speed) while in an offside position and arguably this gave him a benefit in scoring the try.

Its an event which to me as a referee looks wrong, but as a fan I'm not so worried given they were going to lose anyway!

I've asked this here before, you often see e.g. flankers and SHs running offside support lines to arrive at the breakdown
https://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?21507-Offside-support-players&highlight=

While they're being a lot stricter on offside from kicks and breakdowns, offside in open play just doesn't seem to be blown up.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There was no ruck or tackle offside lines created therefore open play, so you can run where you want.

So not offside in open play?

[LAWS]10.1 A player is offside in open play if that player is in front of a team-mate who is carrying the ball or who last played it. An offside player must not interfere with play.
An offside player may be penalised, if that player:
(a)
Interferes with play; or
(b)
Moves forwards towards the ball; or
[/LAWS]

By running the line which allowed him to take the pass W16 interfered with play

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Every good flanker does this as they get up from one breakdown and run the 'tiger line' to where the next will be.

The key word there is "may".
The golden rule, if you can get away without blowing the whistle don't.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Every good flanker does this as they get up from one breakdown and run the 'tiger line' to where the next will be.

The key word there is "may".
The golden rule, if you can get away without blowing the whistle don't.

I think the point is that if you're not going to blow up for material advantage that leads to a try, why have the law at all?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Every game sees such lines run many times. Are people really saying it should be blown?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Every game sees such lines run many times. Are people really saying it should be blown?

maybe its a case of enough people say it enough times and eventually it will... hmmm...

didds

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Pretty sure I saw an Aussie player doing exactly the same thing a few mins before.

I've just had a look and it was literally the run leading up to the steal. G16.... Ruck at 79:44 ball was passed left to right. G16 is hovering around about 25m or so from the far side touchline. Ball goes to G13 (I think) and G16 who is about 10m in front starts his run forwards. Play catches up with him and when he gets the ball he's back behind the player.

I've no objection to this as long as no defensive players are impeded while getting there.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
maybe its a case of enough people say it enough times and eventually it will... hmmm...

didds

Technically you are offside after you pass the ball (as soon as he catches the ball you are infront of the ball carrier). Common sense says you are not penalised, come on, if you were the game could not function.

Do you coach your players to run to an "onside" position after passing the ball?

When was the last time you saw any referee at any leval interprit the law in the way suggested by the OP?

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure I saw an Aussie player doing exactly the same thing a few mins before.

Exactly. I can understand ehy this has even been raised.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
for the avoidance of doubt I was agreeing woith Mark - just bneiong cynicsal regarding sufficient npeople shouting loud enough for long enough ;-)

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

final try, England vs SA on Saturday, Raffi Quirke ran a similar line to take the final pass. admittedly it was from a lineout so not exactly the same scenario.

like you say, happens loads of times per game. it'd be a very pedantic ref who would blow it. and i'd worry about what (s)he isn't watching for to pick this up!