England Vs Georgia scrum training session

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've checked the 2018 Laws, 'Crotch' is not defined so therefore you are permitted to have it above your hips -albeit this is a little unusual and would cause me pain in normal circumstances.

Last edited:

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
but it doesn't have to be, because

each lock binds on the other thus fulfilling the laws requirements.

what they do with the other one is up to them, there are no laws requirements in the standard full set of laws.

didds

Locks binding requirements are set out in 19.7.C, they are not part of "all other players" because they are listed specifically.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
your crotch is in a funny place then!

my crotch is at the same level as the top part of my thigh. My hip is above that. i can tell that cos my hip replacement operation scar is above it!

and when my replacement hip twinges and creaks it does so well above the level of my perineum :D

didds

This is what this forum needs, a debate on where the hip starts and finishes. The joint is in the middle of the hip I would suggest. If no latitude is taken for the size of the whole hip then even the traditional ‘arms outside’ will not be classified as binding since the arms are below the hip joint.
Sympathies on your hip. I suggest you get well oiled!:smile:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
I think that a crotch bind is normally on the front of the shorts and/or the jersey there, in most folks that will be above the hips. So I think I would allow a crotch bind by no8, but he is not allowed to move channel or let go and rebind in a different way. He could change one at a time, but is that really likely? What might he miss whilst mucking about with the bind, and it could come as an unwelcome (or welcome) surprise to the locks!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
personally I suffer from a low crotch. You wouldn't notice, but Mrs Crossref has. She's always talking about how low my crotch is

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
What are the advantages and dangers of a #8 crotch-binding? Why does it need managing?