Erasmus banned form all rugby for 2 months, mathday activity for 12 months

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have just read most of it, the bit I find most shocking is the threat towards Nic Berry, trying to force his hand, and then seemingly roping in Jaco Peyper to try and force some comment, almost seems desperate, or worse.

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Good! IMO he should also get a ban for interferering with play by obstructing a player trying to retrieve a kick to touch. (Scotland? Wales?) What a bad sport. And what a shameful advert for SA and SA rugby. Shame for Nic Berry who is an awesome ref.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
SA social media is awash with outrage and claims of match and competition fixing by WR. Some claim that if it was a AUS/NZ coach attacking a SA referee in the way Erasmus did that it would all be swept under the carpet. Knowing the Kiwi's I am friends with I can't see any half decent NZ coach from being such a f**king sook.

Erasmus deserves a harsher penalty in my book as referee abuse (and I'll call it for what it was) at the highest level legitimises the behaviour at lower levels where we are more vulnerable to on-field abuse or even physical attacks due to limited recordings.

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Well said Jarrod.
Fortunately, he is going to appeal, so hopefully they can up the penalty when that fails.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Interesting viewpoint from Ugo Monye in the Gruniard about the length of time this took vs. a player:
To put into perspective just how crazy it is that it took four months to deliver, consider what would have happened had it been a player in the dock. If a player is deemed to have done something worthy of a disciplinary hearing in a match on a Saturday they would be sanctioned by the middle of the following week

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ency-from-world-rugby-over-rassie-erasmus-ban

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm not really sure what his point is tbh. It's not a run of the mill situation like a player RC so it's bound to take longer. Disappointing he's doing anything other than getting behind WR and the officials.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm not really sure what his point is tbh. It's not a run of the mill situation like a player RC so it's bound to take longer. Disappointing he's doing anything other than getting behind WR and the officials.

I thought he made a good point. I appreciate it needs and investigation, but so does a RC appeal. I agree with the verdict but it should not have taken over a week to charge him, and 4 months to issue a verdict.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought he made a good point. I appreciate it needs and investigation, but so does a RC appeal. I agree with the verdict but it should not have taken over a week to charge him, and 4 months to issue a verdict.

The 80 page ruling document does go into why it took so long to deliver the document. COVID and timezones.

ruareftrev91

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Personally, I think it's no more than a slap on the wrist. I mean Erasmus and anyone else for that matter will really think twice about abusing referees now(hint of sarcasm there).

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The 80 page ruling document does go into why it took so long to deliver the document. COVID and timezones.

Not really good enough excuses. I work with people across the globe and we manage to host meetings and deliver projects to time, I don’t see why WR can’t do the same.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not really good enough excuses. I work with people across the globe and we manage to host meetings and deliver projects to time, I don’t see why WR can’t do the same.

I'd suspect that SA rugby weren't making attending their first priority either.