European Champions Cup

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
So - almost through the pool stages, and I think we are seeing some effects of the changes.

12 teams still in the hunt for places, and only 1 qualified. Of those 12 - 4 French, 6 English, 1 Irish and 1 Scot.

So: Is the lack of qualified teams down to the removal of the weaker teams?
Is the lack of Welsh, and only 1 Irish team in the mix, down to having to put out stronger teams in the Pro 12 each week?

So are we seeing a "leveling" of the playing field, as the French and English clubs CLAIMED (note - not saying this was their real motivation) was their reason for quitting the ERC?

Personally I am not sure the situation is 100% down to the need for the Pro 12 teams to be stronger week in and week out, but it will have had some effect. And also not seeing so many 1 sided games, has left the pools much better placed going into the final weekend of the pool stages. So far - I'm a fan of the "new" competition.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Sod all that, are the revenues up or down ? :deadhorse:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Welsh teams ar far to weak to compete. A long way off being able to. Irish teams not as strong as they were. Certainly the pools are more competive in the main competition.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Watching Leicester v Ulster and camera shot of the Tigers coaching staff. Is that Phil Blake in the coaches box? Haven't seen much NH rugby this year (Aviva not on BeIn Sports gggrrrrr!!!), and see Leicester are struggling in this game. How are they travelling in the AP? Is Blake adding anything to the set up if that is Phil Blake I see?

As a side note, I wonder how many rugby league internationals have gone on to coach at top level in rugby union?
Mick O'Connor coached the Aussie men's 7s for a number of years and Blake has coached in the Shute Shield and now looks like he is at Leicester.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Watching Leicester v Ulster and camera shot of the Tigers coaching staff. Is that Phil Blake in the coaches box? Haven't seen much NH rugby this year (Aviva not on BeIn Sports gggrrrrr!!!), and see Leicester are struggling in this game. How are they travelling in the AP? Is Blake adding anything to the set up if that is Phil Blake I see?

As a side note, I wonder how many rugby league internationals have gone on to coach at top level in rugby union?
Mick O'Connor coached the Aussie men's 7s for a number of years and Blake has coached in the Shute Shield and now looks like he is at Leicester.

Yes it is Phil Blake..and Mauger next season.
Tigers away form in the ERCC has been abysmal. Home form is good, but not enough to get them through to the next stage.